Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: vitamin supplements for child with limited diet?

Default vitamin supplements for child with limited diet?

My DS is currently 26 months old. He was exclusively breastfed until 21 months due to refusal of solids/texture sensitivities and aversions. He is now eating solids (mostly mashed) as well as continuing to nurse. I estimate that he gets about half of his calories from breastmilk and half from solids (and the amount of solids continues to increase). While the solid foods that he eats are nutritious, they are very limited in variety. His pediatrician recommended that I give him vitamins. To this point I have never given him any supplements, but I'm wondering whether I should now that he's getting less breastmilk and not a big variety in his other foods. The main staples of his diet are bananas, avocado, yogurt (plain made with whole milk), baby oatmeal, and some pureed prunes. In addition to those foods he occasionally eats VERY SMALL amounts of bread, pumpkin, sweet potatoes, pears, peaches, cheese, and meat. Any opinions? Are there any particular nutrients that would be severely lacking with this diet?

Default Re: vitamin supplements for child with limited diet?

Even at your son's age, if he is nursing still quite a bit, he is getting a lot of nutrient content from your milk. At his age, it is good to try to introduce a variety so that he gets a pretty balanced diet, but it is not unusual for a child to not be that interested in food at that stage.

There is a book that I've heard mothers in your shoes positively RAVE over and it's called "My Child Won't Eat". You can find it here: http://www.lalecheleague.org/books/mychild.html

I also like this article quite a bit and highly recommend reading it: http://www.lalecheleague.org/NB/NBSepOct05p206.html

Good luck and keep us posted!

Default Re: vitamin supplements for child with limited diet?

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I have read My Child Won't Eat, and I actually saw the author's presentation at the LLLI conference in Washington last summer. For a long time I believed that my DS was just fine and would start eating solids when he was ready or when he was hungry. Unfortunately, that was not the case. Despite being obviously hungry (he wanted to nurse CONSTANTLY day and night and showed decreased diaper output) he would not take any solids--not a single bite. First he stopped gaining weight, then stopped growing taller, and finally head stopped growing. From 12 to 21 months he gained no weight at all. When we started intervention (which I didn't like doing but was out of options) and he began eating he immediately starting gaining weight and growing again. So, I have read all of the information about toddlers choosing a healthy diet over time when offered a variety of healthy choices. However, given DS's history, I just don't believe that this is true for him (at least not right now). Also, because of the steps we've had to take to get him to eat, his eating is now very "parent led" rather than child led. Again, not what I had planned but it was better than having to tube feed him. He has made a lot of progress in the last few months, but still struggles with different textures and tastes, and hasn't yet mastered chewing. Hopefully he will eventually be able to handle a variety of foods and self feed on his own schedule, but I just want to make sure he's getting all the vitamins, minerals, etc. that he needs in the meantime.