Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Tips to stop food throwing?

Default Tips to stop food throwing?

I didn't want to hyjack the BLS in restaurants thread, but many of you said you were able to stop your LO's from throwing/dropping food. How?!?!? DS is almost 11 months old and has started throwing his food or dropping it/holding out handfuls to the dogs

Right now we tell him "No, eat it or put it down" I give him 2 warnings then I take his high chair tray away. Sometimes he does this when he's done eating, and soemtimes it just seems like intermission entertainment. What age did you notice they start listening? What were your stratagies to curb this behavior? TIA!

Amy married to my bestfriend since 10/30/04

Proud SAHM to DS born 2/17/07 and DD born 9/11/08 Both weaned together 11/2011
    Currently milk, peach, peanut and tree nut free. DD has outgrown her wheat, cheese, egg, garlic, and citrus allergies

Default Re: Tips to stop food throwing?

Elaborating on my post from the restaurant thread.

My DS went through a "gravity experiment" stage. He was into dropping. Fortunately he wasn't a thrower.

We could tell when DS was getting ready to drop things over the side.

We got good at having a hand out to intercept food before it got dropped on the ground while saying "we don't drop food - if you're done with food please give it to mommy (or daddy)".

Then we'd put the food on his tray out of his reach and tell him that if he wanted that food he could have more.

By the time DS was about 12 mo he was self feeding with no tossing or dropping and very little food on the ground except things that fall accidentally.

Now when food falls on the ground by accident DS stops eating and points at it until we pick up the food and throw it out. He also likes us to wipe up any spills on the table.

It just took consistency consistency consistency. No yelling. No getting angry.

Lots and lots of praising the "good behavior". Every time DS would hand over food instead of dropping it we'd make a point of saying "thank you" and give him praise.

We also gave DS lots of other opportunites to do "experiments". So we could say we don't do X behavior at the table. If you want to play at dropping we can go do Y activity.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

We are pretty much the same as Lynn regarding her ideas.

Here is a similar thread:

http://forums.llli.org/showthread.php?t=42440

Lyn
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

I come from a totally different pont of view that table manners are taught young, food is not a toy, and we can paint with PAINTS not sweet potatoes!

So what I did with my nephew (whom I babysat 20 hrs a day, 6 days a week) was to teach him how to eat politely. Start with one chunk of food. Then another, then two.

It was about a week until I could put own a decent amount of food and just eat it. By the time he was 12 mo, he could sit at the table (booster seat), off a regular plate.

I do have to add that this kid was developmentally advanced. I will be doing the same with DS - when DS is ready.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanne View Post
    By the time he was 12 mo, he could sit at the table (booster seat), off a regular plate.
    DS always sat at the table with us - which I think helped since he was more into doing things like mommy & daddy.

He initially sat in a chair that attached directly to the table. We moved him to a booster seat when he was about 13 mo, and used a regular plate & utensils.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)