Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is he self-weaning?

Default Re: Is he self-weaning?

I'm so sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by danlynclark View Post

He only has the binkie for sleep, so I'm not really going to deal with that right now.
    Yes, but if he used the boob for sleep instead, he would be getting more milk. If he had to satisfy his need to suck with the boob, then that might bring back your supply.

Every time I have seen advice on nursing strikes, they say to take away all artificial nipples (including sippies).

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.

Don't be hard on yourself about the binkie. We do what we have to do. If he only has it for naps, it may not even be the issue. There are probably lots of babies who take pacifiers who have no nursing issues at all. Maybe he is just too busy to nurse...just keep offering...he will remember that he likes it soon enough.

I posted a reply to this and it didn't show. The problem with binkies is during extended nursing--and if you're truly worried about his hydration, you have to try to get him to nurse instead of wanting the binkie--easier said than done, I know! But pacifiers can really interfere during the 2nd year of nursing!

As for the milk supply--when we reached about 11 months, I always seemed empty, but there was always milk when she wanted to nurse!

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

Quote Originally Posted by ChasingPrisms View Post
    This sounds like us.
    Quote Originally Posted by epbrown View Post
    ETA: as for the supply--I worried about the same thing but there was always milk when Haylee wanted to nurse (until my supply plummeted as a result of the pregnancy around 18 months).
    I wanted to add that 'this sounds like us' was when I was pg also. But...
    Quote Originally Posted by danlynclark View Post
    I've always had low supply, and we are both just getting over that horrible cold/flu. I'm worried that just pushed my supply over the edge.
    That illness paired with an already low supply could push weaning to an extent, IMO. I do NOT think D is weaning, but it sounds as if he is not interested due to a low supply. Just keep doing what your doing mama, your supply will be there. Fluids, rest, nutrition, nursing! At 13 months Connor only nursed twice a day and that was normal for us. It wasn't until a month later when I became VERY ill that he stopped as my supply dipped. He's walking now, too busy to stop and nurse, without a gentle reminder.

As for worrying about what other people think about the weight of your child, stop that.

“Only with trust, faith, and support can the woman allow the birth experience to enlighten and empower her.” - Annie Kennedy & Penny Simkin

Thank you everyone for your help and advice.

Hes actually nursed a couple times this morning. And had a couple wet dipes too.

At our 1 year visit, the ped encouraged me to increase Daniel's solid intake. I had been using nursing for snacks. I started adding solid food snacks in addition to the 3-4 meals a day, and he started nursing less but was WAY happier.

I know that there is going to be a transition to an extended nursing schedule (like Jess said, twice a day, or whatever it may be). Its hard for me to accept that drop in nursing especially since I can't seem to get him interested in a sippy cup.

Thank you for the opinions on the binky. It was a life-saver for us during our battle with reflux. It is what he prefers to go to sleep with. Hes never been a comfort nurser (due to the reflux maybe?) but we've done the best we could. I am nursing him down for his nap now, trying to avoid giving him the binky, but he seems so tired. *sigh* If he wakes up during the nap without the binky, it means SHORT nap for us. Ha. Anyway, will see what we can do.

Lyn

ETA He went down for nap without a binkie....maybe this is a good thing
    Last edited by @llli*danlynclark; January 9th, 2008 at 01:51 PM.
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

Lyn, I think if he IS nursing/drinking, even if only from your cup, and the binkie works for sleep keep it. You guys have struggled with sleep so so much, I think you should listen to your gut.

Glad things are going better today.
    “Only with trust, faith, and support can the woman allow the birth experience to enlighten and empower her.” - Annie Kennedy & Penny Simkin

I was going to say that I really think colds can effect your lo! So try to breath and as you see it's already getting better!

Lyn--I certainly didn't want to give you the guilt trip, God knows I have been through that. I KNOW the reason Haylee quit nursing when I was pregnant was because she had an alternate source of sucking, and thank goodness she started up again (although binkie use is now at an all time high). And we have it again with Waylon, because of the reflux and severe oversupply. I need to take it away from him now, but gosh--that's a lot of work!

Anyway, don't beat yourself up. Try to limit binkie use if its feasible--but I know that can be tough!

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

Quote Originally Posted by epbrown View Post
    Lyn--I certainly didn't want to give you the guilt trip, God knows I have been through that. I KNOW the reason Haylee quit nursing when I was pregnant was because she had an alternate source of sucking, and thank goodness she started up again (although binkie use is now at an all time high). And we have it again with Waylon, because of the reflux and severe oversupply. I need to take it away from him now, but gosh--that's a lot of work!

Anyway, don't beat yourself up. Try to limit binkie use if its feasible--but I know that can be tough!
    Me too. You're doing a great job. I know it must be scary/exhausting/confusing. Hang in there!

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.

ASre you giving him milk or juice in the sippy? It took my daughter about 2 weeks to actually really drink from the sipppy. Now she chugs it.

Keep offering it. He will drink it eventually once he knows that's what he needs to do if he's thirsty.

P.S. My daughter is in the 3rd percentile for weight. I started supplementing with formula at 10 months. We still nurse 4 times a day, but it was obvious that my supply was affected by her increase in activity and not being able to sit still long enough for huge feeds anymore. Now she can carry the cup with her. We nurse and then I give it to her after.

Good luck!!!