Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is he self-weaning?

Default Is he self-weaning?

For a week or two D has been less interested in nursing other than his one nap a day plus bedtime and during the night. So basically just for sleep purposes. And even that is maybe 1 minute of nursing before hes wanting his binkie to fall asleep with.

I offered ALL morning and he refuses. He either smiles and laughs and crawls away, sometimes he plays around by pointing to my nipple and saying boobie, sometimes he kisses it. He will barely give it a suck.

I feel like I could be okay with this except for the fact that he barely drinks anything during the day. I offer a sippy often, but he refuses. He is so skinny and I am paranoid about what weaning might mean for his health

ETA: The other night when he was sick with a fever he went 8 hours without nursing. I was not engorged, and didn't even have that full feeling or huge boob. I am worried that my milk is drying up and that is forcing his "self" weaning.

Lyn
    Last edited by @llli*danlynclark; January 8th, 2008 at 12:17 PM.
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

Default Re: Is he self-weaning?

I wouldn't worry about it too much. I would think that he would eat/drink when he was hungry or thirsty. But keep offering and see how it goes. I think it is harder for us to realize that our LO's are growing up right before our very eyes I am sort of going through the same thing with Sebi.

Quote Originally Posted by danlynclark View Post
    ETA: The other night when he was sick with a fever he went 8 hours without nursing. I was not engorged, and didn't even have that full feeling or huge boob. I am worried that my milk is drying up and that is forcing his "self" weaning.
    Lyn
    Also, I don't think this is necessarily true because I can go eight or more hours these days without feeling full or engorged if there is no nursing going on.
    Loving mama to S - 11/06, and F - 1/09

If you could somehow gently get away from the binkie I think that would help simplify things for you. He might nurse more and get more milk, or at the least you would know for sure that he is weaning on his own terms. With an artificial nipple in the mix though, it's hard to know definitively what is going on.

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.

Quote Originally Posted by danlynclark View Post
    FI offered ALL morning and he refuses. He either smiles and laughs and crawls away, sometimes he plays around by pointing to my nipple and saying boobie, sometimes he kisses it. He will barely give it a suck.
    This sounds like us. IMO, that does not mean he's weaning. Milk supply is an amazing thing, make sure you keep up YOUR fluids and eat even when feeling sick, and just keep offering. Hang in there mama.

As for him not eating/drinking enough. Just watch his diapers. He will drink when thirsty and eat when hungry. Have you offered different cups? Straws, sippys, regular cups?

“Only with trust, faith, and support can the woman allow the birth experience to enlighten and empower her.” - Annie Kennedy & Penny Simkin

Agree with PPs', dont worry too much, just keep offering and go with the flow. Did you try using regular cup with him? Or a straw? Z never used his sippy cup but he does drinks from th regular cup like a champ.

And about the weight gain and all, my neice is so thin, she was breastfead on demand, now she is 4 years old no matter how much she eats she is still slim on the other hand her lill sis is chubby, my sister swears that both of them nursed same amount and ate good amount of solids, we say genes..and I think its the same thing with D.

HTH

Proud Mother to Ziyad, born naturally, November 3 2006

Breastfed for 26 months and still co-sleeping
    "Do more than belong, participate. Do more than care, help.

Do more than believe, practice. Do more than be fair, be kind.

Do more than dream, work!."

Yesterday evening his diaper was dry. I told myself its okay, he always pees lots at night. Wrong. This morning his diaper is barely wet.

I'm really worried.

He only has the binkie for sleep, so I'm not really going to deal with that right now.

Last night at dinner I gave him water from my cup. Yesterday afternoon he nursed and I felt really happy!

If he is weaning, or I'm losing my supply, HOW do I get him to take in more fluids from other sources???? I do worry that hes so skinny, because people judge that.
    Lyn

How old is he?

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.

Quote Originally Posted by healthymama View Post
    How old is he?

13 months.

I've always had low supply, and we are both just getting over that horrible cold/flu. I'm worried that just pushed my supply over the edge.
    Lyn

IMO, he's too young for self weaning--most babies don't before 2 unless there are other sucking provided (ie, binkie). If you are concerned about his hydration, you HAVE to limit binkie time to get him to nurse. It is this extended nursing where I truly believe the pacifier interferes with a baby's natural weaning time!

ETA: as for the supply--I worried about the same thing but there was always milk when Haylee wanted to nurse (until my supply plummeted as a result of the pregnancy around 18 months).

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

I guess it's my fault for introducing the binkie when his reflux was causing him to scream 24 hours a day. I guess "doing what works" screws us over in the end?

The only time he has his binkie is for sleep. Which is nighttime and one nap a day. And at night he spits it out when he wants to nurse.

Well he's nursing now. I'm hoping it has something to do with the cold/flu.
    Lyn