Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I have stopped breastfeeding

Default Re: I have stopped breastfeeding

Sorry you had such a rough start. I have a fairly good idea what you are going through. My first nine weeks of breastfeeding were very painful (was in tears every feed), and I had mastitis twice during that time. After that I still got blocked ducts every now and then. The one thing I found helped was to keep feeding. That and a hot water bottle. As somebody said before, there are no 100% guarantees for this (or anything else in this world). Just go for it, and good luck to you!

I got my first clogged duct at about 2 weeks. This turned into Mastitis that didn't completely go away. So, up until about 2.5 months, I had recurrent bouts of Mastitis every 3-4 days. I was absolutely miserable and ready to give up. But, I hung in there and the problems corrected themself (pumping made it worse, not better). I never really found out the cause, except the baby often fell asleep and the breasts were never really drained properly.

There are no guarantees, but most bf issues go away by 2-3 months. Now, I am proud of myself for sticking it out, and I have a very healthy, happy, bf baby.

Exclamation Re: I have stopped breastfeeding

The best clue I can give you for avoiding plugged ducts and infections is nursing frequently (every 2 hours, or more often if you can) and completely, as well as avoiding antibiotics.

To treat them once they come, you can try warm compresses, lots of nursing, and also line the baby's chin and nose up with the site of the plugged duct if it's just a duct you are dealing with. Breast compression will help you empty the breasts more completely during nursing.

If you get a good latch going (which can be difficult once you have switched to bottles) you can make sure the baby gets enough milk out that you shouldn't get a plug by letting him nurse as long as he wants (this will ensure that the hindmilk gets mostly removed).

I also agree that you don't want to put pressure on your breasts with tight bras. Just try one on that is comfy for you, or get one of those camis with a built in bra, something that just supports a minimal amount so you are not uncomfortable. Some moms go without a bra while nursing.

Some women are prone to them, but I have to say that in 3 1/2 weeks of postpartum recovery, that doesn't sound chronic just because you had a few in a row.

It sucks being sick and taking care of a baby, but that is almost unavoidable. You cannot guarantee that you won't catch a nasty flu or cold, or strep, or something else that puts you in the pits.

If you want to relactate, and give it another shot, you can do that at any time. Take some time to do your research while you are doing that, get help from an IBCLC and LLL, and don't be shy to ask for help. There are tons of moms out there who know a lot of stuff that may help.

I have found that during times of illness the best thing you can do is take it one day at a time, get support from a friend or family member, relax, and don't expect too much from yourself. My mom was a godsend when she stayed with me during the months following my son's birth, now she comes over from time to time during the day to help me with the baby so I can do chores.

Having a new baby is difficult under any circumstance. Weaning can contribute to depression, so if you are going through anything like that it might make the situation seem worse than it is.

Also check out www.promom.org, and www.thebirthden.com/Newman.html and www.mothering.com

There are many treatments out there.

Whoever Drmom is, I don't think she knows that pumping is in no way going to prevent mastitis, in fact it will probably encourage it because pumping can never get out all the milk a baby can. The baby can learn to nurse again, otherwise there wouldn't be such a thing as relactation, nursing adopted babies, etc.

Good luck and keep us updated.

Wow, you know your stuff. And thank you. I'm spending this weekend to make my (our) decision. Then, if I bf, I want my first latch to be in front of my hospital's LC. My bradley instructor advised me too on a lc. She was also concern with the fact that I have flat nipples. Which, yes, I'm a bit concern as well. I just want a good latch b/c it sounds that would just be the answer. I've done a ton of research on the net and I intend on checking out the sites you passed on to me. I just really want to SEE a latching vs. just reading about it. Women snicker when I tell them that I've read the Womanly Art and yet I still struggle. Hey, reading and doing are 2 different things when it comes to latching on correctly. And my breasts or I should say my nipples...my nipples do not protrude like these books show.

So anyways...thanks for you input. I can see that you put in a lot of time and I really do appreciate that. Any more advice from other moms would be great...either way, I'll let you guys know my decision. Thanks!!!

Even though I obviously support breastfeeding and think it's been great for us (despite a very rocky start), make your decision based on what's best for your family. Obviously you're really putting your heart into this, and we all know that a little breastfeeding is better than none, but if it's really not for you don't beat yourself up over it. That's what formula should be for--moms who can't nurse for whatever reason, not just to use as the default. If you've given it your all (which it sure sounds like you have!) and are ready to move on, your baby will still be healthy and happy. That said, if you can get help from an LC and LLL, maybe your experience will be much better this time around. I hope so!

Good luck in whatever you do!

Smile Re: I have stopped breastfeeding

Hello Ladies-

I've been very busy this weekend. And our little family has come to the decision to relacate & breastfeed. Excited...nervous...and prayfully so, I am starting tomorrow night with my first latch in front of my bradley instructor (she's got 8 years logged in with bf, lllleader). Here's my plan:
    *I have a bf accountablity partner
    *I WILL strive for a correct latch EVERY feeding
    *I will use pads without a plastic lining
    *I will keep hydrated
    *I will let the house get dirty & I will let the laundry pile up if it conserves
    my energy & detours fatigue
    *I will see a LC this week
    *I will have more bras so I will not have to wear the same one b4 a wash
    So, that's my plan. I'm taking More Milk Plus & this stuff you find in yogurt (good bacteria). Again, if you have more advice, I'd love to hear it, especially on flat nipples & latching on. Well ladies, thank you for your encouragement. I look foward to tomorrow's feeding.

Smile Re: I have stopped breastfeeding

Wow! Sounds like you have made a well-thought-out and heartful decision to relactate. That being said, I wish you all the best with nursing your baby. As far as any more suggestions on latch, that is really hard to do with being seen in person. I would bow, at this point, to your Bradley Ins./LLLL and all of her years of experience helping moms and being right there with you to help.

Sending good thoughts...

Quote Originally Posted by redsoxmom
    Here's my plan:
    *I have a bf accountablity partner
    *I WILL strive for a correct latch EVERY feeding
    *I will use pads without a plastic lining
    *I will keep hydrated
    *I will let the house get dirty & I will let the laundry pile up if it conserves
    my energy & detours fatigue
    *I will see a LC this week
    *I will have more bras so I will not have to wear the same one b4 a wash
    Sounds like an excellent plan. Just make yourself small goals along the way and things will settle down before you know it. It looks like an excellent support team you are putting into place. We're all here for you, too!
    Tanya, LLL Leader and Mama to three wonderful kids

For flat nipples wearing a breast shields to draw the nipple out, also pumping for a few minutes before feeding helped to draw the nipple out in the early days, also a nipple shield in the beginning helped the baby to be able to draw more of the nipple into her mouth. It may seem like a lot to do but it worked for us, now we have the perfect latch. Good luck.

He's refusing the breast, of course. And pumping has made my nipples pink. Well, no one said this was going to be easy.