Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I have stopped breastfeeding

Unhappy I have stopped breastfeeding

And it's no fun. In 3 1/2 weeks, I developed 3 breast infections and thrush. My second breast infection was the most severe case my doctor has seen and my third occured during antibiotic therapy. And just to add to the maddness, I was healing from a fourth degree laceration. Great start! So as you can probably see, it was very difficult to care for my newborn. Now eight weeks later, I am healthy and having a great time with my baby. However, my leaky breasts & early "bonding memories" with breastfeeding (even though it was difficult) remind me that my baby was indeed born to breastfeed. I miss bonding with by baby during breastfeeding but I DO NOT MISS THE BREAST INFECTIONS. Too scared that I'll end up ill again, I cannot risk the chance. Time to time, I wonder is that chance worth taking. My question to LLL Moms is: Is there a way that I can breastfeed & completely avoid another breast infection???

And please, please understand that it is very crucial for me to be healthy in order to care for my baby. Thank you for any support that you can extend. My hope is that I can breastfeed successfully.

Default Re: I have stopped breastfeeding

Oh wow. I'm so sorry you had such a rough time.

When did you develop the first breast infection? Where did you give birth? Was/is your immune system compromised? Where your nipples cracked?

It is a possiblity that you could have contracted the bacteria that caused your breast infections after the birth (most likely to happen in a hospital setting). The thrush was most likely secondary to antibiotic therapy.

It is possible to breastfeed again without infection. The most important thing to do is assure that the infection that was causing the mastitis is gone. You would also want to make sure you are taking care of YOU (rest, eating well, drinking plenty, ect) and that your baby is latched on correctly. There are other things you can do, and this web page touches on some of them:
    www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/repeatmastitis.html

Question Re: I have stopped breastfeeding

Wow, fast reply. LLL Moms don't mess around!!! Okay, these are great questions...I developed my first infection after the first week (my second one led me to the E.R. on x-mas eve...nice), I gave birth at Kaiser w/ my midwife, I'm sure my immune system was compromised with a 38-hour labor (I'd get into more but it's just too much), yes my nipples were cracked... the lac. consultant said they're flat too so any suggestions for that besides the nipple sheild???...and finally, I'm most convinced that the antibiotic therapy during labor (GBS) and during by infections led to thrush.

My husband would be very supportive if I took up breastfeeding again if we were a 100% sure that the infections would not reoccure. Being in & out of the hospital (they wanted to admitt me), 104+ temperatures, zero energy, and releying on my husband to do it all while he works 2 jobs is just crazy.

My boy and I are so, so good right now. I could literally say that he's in my arms 23 hours a day...I'd say 24, but I'd be lying. It's just so good. So how do I know...how do confidently know it can be that way while breastfeeding?

And I'm very thankful for your input. Your advice means a lot to me.

I feel your pain. I had constant plugs and mastitis 2x. It got to the point when my son was 4 months old, I was getting a plug every 4 days for over a month. I finally narrowed it to all my bras were the same style so pressure was always in the same spots. I had to get 3 different kinds and rotate them. I got pretty good at clearing the ducts - so did my son!

There is no 100% way to avoid infections, but with some sleuthing, you can limit the frequency and duration.

LLLove, Amy

what is the ultimate breastfeeding bra?

A spandex shirt!

Well, I like mine, just clingy enough to give me a bit of a support and just loose enough that I can lift it for breastfeeding. And at night, we don't wear anything. I feel much better this way.

I only wear a bra when I leave the house!! As for nursing your little guy GO for it!! You have nothing to loose by trying again as it sounds as though your birth situation was the culprit!!!!! I would start by contacting a LLLLeader near you who can give you hands on help with your latch etc. You would do well to have Someone within arms reach during this time she will be a great support to you!!! Great Luck!!

i went to a lll meeting tonight and was disappointed with the outlook. no one could really give solid advice. i'm not sure breastfeeding is for me. if anyone has been down this path or know anyone that has please let me know.

I am sorry you did not receive the insight you were looking for at the LLL meeting. Did you have a chance to speak one-on-one with a Leader? Sometimes things are busy, but she would always be happy to speak privately with you. Also, some groups have different dynamics. Is there another group or Leader in your area. Hang in there! I am sure you will ultimately make the right decision for you and you baby.

Don't make yourself miserable, if breastfeeding is not for you then quit. Or if you want your son to have the benefits of breast mild consider pumping and giving him as much as possible. Your baby is only going to be a baby for a short while, you should enjoy every minute.