Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How many letdowns do you usually have per nursing session?

Default How many letdowns do you usually have per nursing session?

Hi all,

I'm breastfeeding my 7 week old daughter and things are going well and she's gaining weight nicely. I'm just curious though how many letdowns is "normal". Usually when she nurses, there will be 2 letdowns. Sometimes though on my left side, there will be about 3. I am going to wean her off nursing to sleep soon and I'm just worried that she may slow down in her weight gain if I do (this is just a side note) but I was wondering if the # of letdowns for her is enough. TIA!

Default Re: How many letdowns do you usually have per nursing session?

Quote Originally Posted by lilcapeanut View Post
    Hi all,

I'm breastfeeding my 7 week old daughter and things are going well and she's gaining weight nicely. I'm just curious though how many letdowns is "normal". Usually when she nurses, there will be 2 letdowns. Sometimes though on my left side, there will be about 3. I am going to wean her off nursing to sleep soon and I'm just worried that she may slow down in her weight gain if I do (this is just a side note) but I was wondering if the # of letdowns for her is enough. TIA!

Hi,
    I normally have 2-3. My LO is 12 weeks and is slightly about average in weight.

I only ever feel one letdown per side, but I can tell I sometimes have another 1 or 2, depending on how long she's at the breast. When she was younger I definitely had more at each feeding, but now she's on and off in about 5 minutes!

If your LO needs more calories, she'll get them, as long as you're nursing on demand. So if you change your nursing habits and she's no longer getting what she needs, she'll let you know by asking to nurse more.

I personally still nurse my 8 month old to sleep almost all the time. Even then she still needs more to eat sometimes, and she makes up for it by nursing more frequently throughout the day and/or night. The longer your BF relationship goes on, the easier it will be for you to read your DD's cues and know what she's asking for.
    I love my kids. I care for them accordingly. What more can I say?

If you nurse on demand (and LO is healthy w/ plenty of wet diapers) then you don't have to worry about the amount they are getting!

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.

I don't feel my let down, so I don't know how many there are.

it depends how long my son is nursing (he is 16 weeks)....he's a quick eater. so if he just wants a snack or something...just 1 letdown (but always at least 1)...and sometimes, if he's nursing longer or nursing while sleeping....2-3.

Not feeling a letdown is common. You are having them whether you feel them or not approx 2-3 per feed. Many women only feel the first LD.

When lo was that age I would have 2-3 per session.

I have never actually felt a let down. From my LO's sucking and swallowing pattern, I would say that when he was young I usually had two and now I probably only have one. As long as diaper output is good and your LO is gaining weight, I don't think it matters how many let downs you actually have.
    Melissa, mom to my very busy 4-year-old little man and super busy 2-year-old princess.

LLL says to breastfeed until the baby comes off on his/her own or falls asleep It's perfectly okay to continue nursing your baby to sleep. 7 weeks is still very, very young. Most mothers find that baby outgrows this need with time.

If you are concerned about how much milk your baby is getting, here is an excellent article for you:
    http://www.llli.org/FAQ/enough.html

HTH!
    Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!