Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Noises while nursing

Default Noises while nursing

My 6 mo will sometimes start to make weird noises while he's nursing. He'll be latched on fine and then start grunting and twisting his head with my nipple still in his mouth then resume nursing. The best way I can describe it would be like a dog playing with a chew toy
    He doesn't do it very often, maybe every couple of days or once a week, but I was wondering if anyone else had this problem with their lo or why he may do it.
    Thanks!
    Mellie

Default Re: Noises while nursing

OMG I went through the EXACT same thing... It was only happening maybe once or twice a day, then started happening at every feeding. I finally called a lactations consultant and she told me it was a "sure sign" that my flow was too slow and dd wanted more milk. I immediately started drinking A LOT more water (I think I had let myself get too dehydrated) and i took fenugreek seed pills (look it up on Kellymom.com, it is like a miracle pill) and things went WAY better. I really think just drinking more water is what did it for me. Also you can look up ways to increase milk supply on Kellymom. Don't be discouraged ... I was really depressed when the LC told me that but really it got better so fast and that was over a month ago and things are still going great. I don't even have to take fenugreek anymore. It's possible your lo is going through a growth spurt.

Grunting could also be a sign of gass, but it's the turning head with nipple in mouth, or tugging on nipple that is a sign your lo is trying to get more out.

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

I'm so glad I'm not the only one! I'll definately start drinking more water and ask my Dr about it when we go in for DS's check up later this week. Thanks JeannieBean!

Welcome to nursing an older baby, lol! It is possible that he's getting impatient with a slow flow, but since he's not doing it very frequently it's just as likely that he's just playing with you Around that age DS started trying to look around and see everything while he was nursing, and he tried to take my nipple with him. Ouch! But he grew out of it pretty quick.
    Erin - Hayden James is my beautiful boy - we've been nursing happily for two years, with no end in sight!

Change the language, change the reality.

Oh my ... my ds does the EXACT same thing occasionally. Now that pp mentioned low milk, I am thinking it is during those times of the day when my letdown is slower and my breasts are not as full. I will pay closer attention if he is doing it more often. I just thought he was really aggressive or something. LOL!
    Becca SAHM to
    Veronica 10/31/05

and Preston 10/28/07

<--- me!
    (I love this smiley!)

I finally got on Facebook! If anyone wants to be my
    friend.

my dd does it too.. ususally its when she has emptied the breast and I haven;t switched her to the other breast....

Married my man Michael 5/12/2006
    Keira Joyce 6/1/07 Breastfed for 22 months Peanut Allergy- Outgrown 11/2010!!!!
    Israel Benedict 10/10/09- Breastfed for 27 months ( 9 months tandem with his sister)
    Nairi Anne 4/1/2011 still nursing at 14 months
    My Daily Blog
    Cloth diapers on the bum!