Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Weaning without cow milk or soy?

Default Re: Weaning without cow milk or soy?

I'm new to the forum, but just wanted to say thanks for the info. I'm in a similar situation as lunamoth. I've been BFing my son since birth (he's almost 12 months) and trying to decide about weaning. My son is allergic to cow's milk. I did an elimination diet when he was 5 weeks old after five weeks of rashes, irritability, gastric distress, nasal congestion, etc., etc., etc. Two weeks after dropping all dairy, he was a different baby! I contemplated BFing till he's two yrs old, but he's been giving me some signs that maybe my milk production isn't as much as he needs. It's hard to tell how much I'm still making, but he works a lot harder for it now and fusses quite a bit (and bites a lot more than he used to) trying to get it out. I also haven't felt much letdown when he feeds in the past month. I'm not surprised as he's eating a TON of solids now. So we started looking into just weaning at a year, but cow's milk is out and I've got concerns about soy because of the phytoestrogens, etc. So what's a girl to do? How do I know he's getting enough breastmilk at this point? I'll look into the rice milk/protein solution mentioned earlier. Any other suggestions would be welcomed, including the issue of amount of breastmilk needed at this age, etc. Thanks again, ladies! This forum is a godsend!

I am in the same boat. My DS is being 'weaned" during the day while I am at work but he refuses whole milk, soy milk or rice milk from a sippy. I have never pumped so I don't know if he'd take pumped milk in a cup. I guess he'll just have to drink water or juice all day.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebe View Post
    I have never pumped so I don't know if he'd take pumped milk in a cup. I guess he'll just have to drink water or juice all day.

My DD will NOT take pumped breastmilk in a cup...she looks at me like I am absolutely crazy! (Uumm, Mom, this is supposed to be in a bottle or a boob, ya know?)
    But she LOVES watered-down grape juice, white grape, and apple juice or even just water in a cup...

Wink Re: Weaning without cow milk or soy?

Hiya

To reply to your first and last question:

Proteins: Rachel LOVES beans. I cook them and prepare them with raw cumcumber, carrots, sweet pointed peppers with olive oil and lemon juice. It's greast because she can eat them by herself.

Calcium: you may be surprised but Rachel actually love sardines. They are very high in calcium. For the molasses, put them in a cake instead of sugar. It will make your cake really brown.

Dairy-free: we are dairy-free as well and do really well with rice milk. We all love it.

good luck