Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weaning without cow milk or soy?

Question Weaning without cow milk or soy?

Cora is still a good little nursling (with nipple shield, AGH!) at 10 1/2 months old after a long and arduous first few weeks during which I refused to give up BFing!

We are down to 3, sometimes 4 "milkings" per day. She looooves her fortified cereals and most fruits & vegs but is not so happy with proteins. I am preg again, due about Sept. 7 or so...I sure wouldn't mind her weaning in a couple of months and getting my body back for a while...I definitely can't see myself tandem nursing...

My questions, I guess, are:

-- how to win her over to eating more proteins...any super-delicious, absolutely irresistable ways to prepare them so she will eat them up? Anyone successful with high-calcium stuff like anchovies and greens and molasses??

-- how difficult is it to switch over to cow's milk...or goat's maybe?...and do I REALLY HAVE TO?? (after one year of course) I mean...cow's milk is for baby cows so why does the entire medical industry insist I give it to my child? There must be another way to raise a baby human without resorting to other mammals' milk...?? EVERY SINGLE toddler nutrition book/chart I've found tells you to give x-amount of cow milk per day. She got a contact dermatitis from some cottage cheese I tried to give her so I am trying to avoid the cow dairy for awhile longer...

-- does anyone have any SIMPLE advice for raising a toddler without cow milk AND without soy? (I'm lactose intolerant so we don't even HAVE cow milk in the house...and she wildly vomits every time I drink soy milk so I'm guessing that's probably out for her...)
    Soy seems to be the usual go-to answer when cow milk is not tolerated...soy soy soy and lots of it... but I worry that neither will work for us...I read all the way through "Rasing Your Child Without Milk," and all Jane Zukin does is substitute soy for dairy...

-- how to get her to sleep without nursing her to sleep, LOL, hubby calls it "the one-two punch" ??????

THANKS SO MUCH for any assistance!

Default Re: Weaning without cow milk or soy?

Quote Originally Posted by lunamoth View Post
    -- how difficult is it to switch over to cow's milk...or goat's maybe?...and do I REALLY HAVE TO?? (after one year of course) I mean...cow's milk is for baby cows so why does the entire medical industry insist I give it to my child? There must be another way to raise a baby human without resorting to other mammals' milk...?? EVERY SINGLE toddler nutrition book/chart I've found tells you to give x-amount of cow milk per day. She got a contact dermatitis from some cottage cheese I tried to give her so I am trying to avoid the cow dairy for awhile longer...
    My DS is allergic to cow's milk, and our nutritionist doesn't like soy because of the hormones in it. My answer is to bf ds until he's at least two. I may give him a little rice milk, but I don't think it has enough nutrients to be the only milk. Some people say if your allergic to cows milk your likely to be allergic to goats milk, but our nutritionist said it was okay.
    I think we were created to nurse longer than most of us do, that's why we have to supplement with other mammal milk.
    Rachel
    mom to Elijah 1/29/2007
    Pregnant with ds number 2 due sometime in November
    |Cleaning products that are green and safe for our babies.
    http://www.shaklee.net/jonandrachel

Quote Originally Posted by lunamoth View Post
    She got a contact dermatitis from some cottage cheese I tried to give her so I am trying to avoid the cow dairy for awhile longer...

she wildly vomits every time I drink soy milk so I'm guessing that's probably out for her
    Both of these statement raise HUGE red flags for me that your DD likely has allergies to dairy & soy.

Have you talked about these reactions to your doctor?

Food allergies can be unpredictable - the next reaction could be very serious. I strongly encourage you to talk to your doctor and look into allergy testing for your LO.

The big challenges for toddler nutition are making sure that they get enough calcium and fat. Dairy is often recommended because it is a convenient source of both. Dairy is not necessary - you just need to work very hard to make sure that LO is getting adequate nutrition during this critical stage of growth.

If your DD is allergic to cow milk - I recommend that you do NOT give her any other sorts of animal milks (goat or whatever). From what I've read people who have a cow milk allergy are highly likely to also be allergic to other animal milks.

For more info on food allergies - check out the allergy section of this forum.

Lynn
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Quote Originally Posted by RME View Post
    Some people say if your allergic to cows milk your likely to be allergic to goats milk, but our nutritionist said it was okay.
    I personally would be very very cautious with things like goat milk.

http://foodallergy.org/allergens/milk.html
    Is goat milk a safe alternative to cow milk?
    Goat's milk protein is similar to cow's milk protein and may, therefore, cause a reaction in milk-allergic individuals. It is not a safe alternative.
    and the book "Dealing with Food Allergies in Babies and Children" says:

Goat's milk may be tolerated for a time by a small number of children with CAM [cow milk allergy]. However goat's milk allergy frequently develops quite quickly in children who are allergic to cow's milk.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Question Re: Weaning without cow milk or soy?

So does anyone have advice about weaning a toddler without dairy or soy?
    Or how to get baby to sleep without nursing?
    I mean advice, as in "been there, done that," not random soundbites...because I have already read TONS of advice in books and on the Internet but actually getting a toddler to eat sardines or greens is a whole 'nother issue altogether...
    Thanks so much.

Well, the only "been there done that" I have is this. My lo will not eat veggies. He picks them out and tosses them on the floor. However, I have been pureeing them and mixing them into things, and he doesn't even know he's eating them. Will your LO eat spagetti sauce with noodles or a homemade chili sauce (pm me if you want some easy recipes)? If so, add pureed spinach or other greens. You could probably even add a little pureed sardines.
    Re; weaning, I am no help. Plan on child led weaning, and no end in sight. Haven't had the need to start other milks.

Kathryn,
    Mama to my sweet blueberry eyed boy Joshua
    born on 11/2/2006

and my blueberry eyed baby Jonah Henry...my water birth baby!
    born on 6/15/09

MOBY WRAPS ROCK

Check into rice protein shakes. Metagenics makes one for toddlers. UltraCare for kids (I think) www.metagenics.com

You could also make smoothies with rice milk and add powdered calcium carbonate to it. Will she eat meats? I hate to say it, but you may have to stick it out with the bf for at least 4 or 5 more months until you can better regulate what she is eating, unless you can figure out how to do the rice protein with the right mixture of fat/protien and calcium.

BTW, my son just weaned at 21 months without soy, cow or rice milk and we have been able to give him a nutritionally complete diet, but I do give him supplements on the days we haven't met our 'quota'.

Shannon, for the rice protein powder, how much should you offer to a toddler?
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

Thumbs up Re: Weaning without cow milk or soy?

<<add pureed spinach or other greens. You could probably even add a little pureed sardines. >>

Oooohhh great idea! She hasn't started on things in sauces yet; we are still on finger foods...but this is a GREAT idea, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by danlynclark View Post
    Shannon, for the rice protein powder, how much should you offer to a toddler?
    It would depend on the brand you bought. The metagenics one I think is only one scoop, but it is formulated for toddlers. I personally bought the metagenics ultrameal, which is for adults, since we were still nursing I didn't need the one with the DHA in it. Anyhow, the DO told me to give him one scoop, instead of the adult serving of two scoops. He won't drink it anyway, but we will try again soon. I think it tastes good.