Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Appearance of expressed breastmilk??? HELP

Default Appearance of expressed breastmilk??? HELP

I just started pumping yesterday to store up some milk so my hubby and I can go on a date for our anniversary. I just put the milk I expressed today in the fridge and looked at the stuff in the fridge from yesterday and it looks gross. It has a layer of like curdled looking stuff on top. Is this normal?? I smelled it and it smells totally fine. No smell at all really. Is there something wrong with it or does the milk just seperate like that??

Thanks!
    Christa

Default Re: Appearance of expressed breastmilk??? HELP

The milk should be fine. That layer on top is just the fat separating out. Before feeding to LO, just swirl (don't shake) the milk in the bottle and everything will be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Katelinsmom View Post
    The milk should be fine. That layer on top is just the fat separating out. Before feeding to LO, just swirl (don't shake) the milk in the bottle and everything will be fine.
    It comes back together when you heat it up. Gently swirl and it will be fine! Have fun!
    Loving mama to S - 11/06, and F - 1/09

Uh oh what happens if I shake it?? I think I shook it before I posted this. I can't remember how gentle/rough I was.

Don't worry! I had my mom shaking the milk for months (while I was at work) before I realized it should be swirled instead. I think if you shake it, it can loose some of its protective properties (not really sure though). But now you know for next time
    Loving mama to S - 11/06, and F - 1/09

Thanks!!!!

Shaking bruises the cell membranes and causes ruptures. Swirling is better

Talking Re: Appearance of expressed breastmilk??? HELP

Sorry, I'm punchy from little sleep due to mastitis over the weekend...but had to type what I'm hearing in my head...Sean Connery's voice coming out of my little 7 pounder saying she likes her milk stirred, not shaken...tee hee hee... Okay, I'll go to bed now.

In all honesty, this did answer my question-I pumped for the first time since the colostrum in the hospital to clear my ducts in between feedings and was worried it looked clumpy this morning because of that.. Guess not!