Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Just wondering??

Default Just wondering??

Ok So I know what they stand for, but what exactly do they mean!?!

BLW = baby led weaning
    BLS = baby led solids
    -Katie

-Wife to Joe 5-15-04
    -First time mom to Courtney Ann 8-12-07
    -Became a mom of 2: Brendan Joseph was born 01-08-09
    -Breastfed both of them for one whole year
    -Now a new mom of 3: Emily Theresa born 12-14-11
    -Breastfeeding again and hope to go the full year!

Default Re: Just wondering??

blw is when you let baby wean at their own pace (correct me if i'm wrong)

bls is when you give your lo pieces/chunks of foods to eat rather then purees off of a spoon. bls is really a great way for a lo to learn to eat!
    hth
    Lisa
    Married to my Sugar Daddy
    Mom to Matt (5/14/97)
    James (11/8/06)
    Kelly Anne (3/14/08)
    Paul (3/11/10)

Jack'sMum is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

they are the same thing. us brits call it "weaning", when you in the US say "starting solids". tbh it makes more sense to me to call it starting solids as the term weaning perpetuates the myth that babies should only be bf for 6 months.

my 9-month-old!

Quote Originally Posted by Jack'sMum View Post
    they are the same thing. us brits call it "weaning", when you in the US say "starting solids".

The guidelines paper was written by a British woman, and she used the English term "weaning" to mean starting solids. She also talks about cutting foods to "chip" shape which translates in American to "french fry".

The basic idea is letting baby set the pace for what and when & how much baby wants to eat. You start OFFERING baby solids somewhare around 6 mo and let baby explore the food and learn to self feed. The theory is that baby learns to self feed at about the same time that they lose their gag reflex.

When I describe it to people - I often say that we skipped purees and went directly to finger foods.

Feel free to ask lots of questions!
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Quote Originally Posted by lsksam View Post

The basic idea is letting baby set the pace for what and when & how much baby wants to eat. You start OFFERING baby solids somewhare around 6 mo and let baby explore the food and learn to self feed. The theory is that baby learns to self feed at about the same time that they lose their gag reflex.

!
    To take it a little further, the research shows that when left to their own devices and done properly there is little to be scared of in the way of choking hazard for self feeding solids. If you wait until baby can get food to ones own mouth, this research showed time and time again that babies could be trusted to deal with it ON THEIR OWN. And that this method is the perfect compliment to Exclusive breastfeeding (only babies in the study)because Breastfed babies are already "self regulating" their intake.

Way too lazy for formula

ok thanks ladies...I thought they sounded similar ... i just needed a little clarification!!
    -Katie

-Wife to Joe 5-15-04
    -First time mom to Courtney Ann 8-12-07
    -Became a mom of 2: Brendan Joseph was born 01-08-09
    -Breastfed both of them for one whole year
    -Now a new mom of 3: Emily Theresa born 12-14-11
    -Breastfeeding again and hope to go the full year!

Quote Originally Posted by lsksam View Post
    The theory is that baby learns to self feed at about the same time that they lose their gag reflex.
    Sorry, I don't mean to be picky, but that's not correct. Did you mean to say that they start to self feed around the same time as they lose their tongue thrust reflex?
    The gag reflex is a normal protective mechanism that we have to stop foreign material entering the respiratory tract, and not something that a baby loses.
    As they get better at manipulating food in their mouths, they gag less, but the gag reflex isn't actually lost. (Unless this is another example of different terminology in american english vs british english!)
    Last edited by mrsavocet; January 8th, 2008 at 01:17 PM. Reason: spelling!