Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Empty breasts?

Default Empty breasts?

My LO is almost 8 weeks old, she's latching well and my flow hasn't changed (lots of milk, very fast). Lately she's been eating every hour and 1/2 to 2 hours (more often then normal)...I expect that she's having a growth spurt, but in the last day or so I've noticed that my breasts seem much more empty then they normally do. Is this because she's feeding so often that milk doesn't have a chance to build up as much? And what happens when she stops eating like this? Will I be engorged again?

Default Re: Empty breasts?

What you are sensing is pretty normal. Your breasts are beginning to sense how much milk is needed. At a certain point most women stop becoming engorged, rest assured there is still enough milk in there to feed your baby!

Fully emptying the breast is actually the quickest way to encourage the breast to make more milk. During a growth spurt your baby does exactly this. Sounds like your doing great! hang in there mama!

Default Re: Empty breasts?

Quote Originally Posted by carpentergirl View Post
    What you are sensing is pretty normal. Your breasts are beginning to sense how much milk is needed. At a certain point most women stop becoming engorged, rest assured there is still enough milk in there to feed your baby!

Fully emptying the breast is actually the quickest way to encourage the breast to make more milk. During a growth spurt your baby does exactly this. Sounds like your doing great! hang in there mama!

for you momma your doing fine

Formerly known as Huntersmomma
    Momma to 3 yr old Hunter proudly breast fed until 2 & 1/2
    Expecting baby #2, Due in Jan 2011