Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Change in stool

Default Change in stool

My son is about 3 1/2 months old, and his stools have started changing from loose and seedy to pasty and smelly. He doesn't seem to be uncomfortable at all, but I was under the impression that breastfed babies' stools don't smell as much as formula fed. Is it normal for it to change or should this be a cause for concern?

Default Re: Change in stool

My DD's stools have been varied since day one. It could be normal. I would just keep an eye on them and at next ped visit ask?

My LO's stools did the same thinga round 3-4 months. Nothing to be concerned about. Baby's nutritional needs change as they grow, so their bodies absorb different things out of the BM. I asked my Ped. and he wasn't worried about it. Just want to make sure that LO is having a bm and that its not uncomfortable.

Thank you for your imput! It sounds like it isn't anything to worry about but I'll be sure to mention it to his pediatrician when he gets his checkup. Thanks again!

thats funny, I was thinking of posting the same question...my 5 month old's (exactly today!! ) bms just changed in the last week, they are not as liquidy, more pasty!! and also more smelly

Glad to hear there are others out there with this!!!
    -Katie

-Wife to Joe 5-15-04
    -First time mom to Courtney Ann 8-12-07
    -Became a mom of 2: Brendan Joseph was born 01-08-09
    -Breastfed both of them for one whole year
    -Now a new mom of 3: Emily Theresa born 12-14-11
    -Breastfeeding again and hope to go the full year!