Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: had oversupply and always full...what happened???

Default had oversupply and always full...what happened???

My daughter is 6 months old and had been exclusively breast fed until 2 weeks ago when we started solids (banana/applesauce/rice cereal made with breastmilk) of which she hardly eats anything at all. Since she was born, I've had oversupply issues which I managed through feeding her on only one side for every 2 feedings before switching sides. My breasts always felt fairly full until mid-way through the 2nd feeding, but in the past 3 weeks or so, I've noticed that instead of a full feeling, my breasts just feel, well...floppy. When my daughter nurses, I can hear her swallowing and when she pulls off I can see milk and she's having plenty of wet and poopy diapers, but should I be concerned about my supply since I've gone from full to floppy? Should I start switching sides during feedings? An added dilemma is that I have to return to work in 2 months and I don't want to have a low supply when I go back since I'll be relying on pumped milk during the day.

Default Re: had oversupply and always full...what happened???

I'm not at that stage yet, as my son is only 2 months... But I recently saw this article on kellymom which I think will help put your mind at ease:
    My breasts feel empty! Has my milk supply decreased?

Hope that helps!

Default Re: had oversupply and always full...what happened???

That's a good link from the PP.

Sounds like you have nothing to worry about. All things show that she is getting milk and doing well. Softening of the breasts is normal as time goes by.

Keep up the great work!