Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Sugar in Mom's diet reason for high lactose breastmilk?

Question Sugar in Mom's diet reason for high lactose breastmilk?

Is a lot of sugar in my diet a potential reason for a lot of lactose in my breastmilk? My baby is very gassy possibly owing to high-lactose breastmilk, and I have a slight sweet-tooth. Should I cut back on the swiss chocolate and candy? Heck, why am I smiling? I love that stuff!!

Default Re: Sugar in Mom's diet reason for high lactose breastmilk?

Human milk is full of lactose, and nature has made certain that babies and toddlers can digest it.

How old is your baby? Sometimes baby are "gassy" because their digestive system is developing rapidly. You can help him/her to "work it out" with infant massage, or give your little one a warm bath while you "bicycle" his/her legs.

Mary

Default Re: Sugar in Mom's diet reason for high lactose breastmilk?

My baby is 5 weeks old and every evening her stomach gets pretty hard and she becomes very fussy. She also passes a lot of gas and sometimes cries when she has to do that. In the evenings her poo is often greenish. I have a milk oversupply situation - all the more reason for more lactose since there seems to be a lot of foremilk.

I am trying block-feeding to help with the oversupply situation, and hopefully with the gas too, but that looks like a more long term solution (days to weeks??). I would like to reduce her discomfort sooner if possible.

Smile Re: Sugar in Mom's diet reason for high lactose breastmilk?

if your daughter is having gas problem or stomach ache problem then try this. Heat 1 cup water and add a tablespoon of fennel seeds. simmer and heat till water reduces to half. now seive the whole content. cool it. and give 1 teaspoon to your baby through bottle or spoon feed. i am sure it will help.
    and if you are breastfeeding then you can take a tablespoon of this extract yourself also.