Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to the forums

Default New to the forums

My name is Corrie and my baby boy is Hayden. He was born at 30 weeks because I contracted hepatitis e and my fevers were too high for him to safely stay in. Even before I had him early I was planning on breast feeding. I began to pump while I was still in the hospital but dumped it until I was released. Now, even though I am home and healthy the hospital won't allow me to give him the breast milk because of the hepatitis. Everything I see online says that it's not transferred through any kind of bodily fluids. I just want some support as I continue pumping. They say once he comes home he can breast feed they just don't want to risk it while he's in the hospital.

Default Re: New to the forums

i am sorry- i don't have any info on the hepatitis- i had a little guy in the nicu about 6 weeks and i know the dedication is takes to always pump for a baby you can't nurse. just keep pumping. does the nicu have a LC? i would often go the the LC when the nurse gave me info i did not agree with. have you gone to the head nurse? there were times i had to go to the head nurse instead of my sons nurse when things weren't going how i thought they should be. it is sad but sometimes you have to fight a little for what you think is best for your baby. one nurse was refusing to let me kangaroo my baby because she said i was there 15 minutes too late- i did not back down and did get to hold him so just keep fighting- in a nice way of course- you don't want to get stressed in an already stressful situation. i guess what i am trying to say is don't give up and always try for a 2nd or 3rd or 4th opinion- you may not always get what you wanted but you will always get more information- i did lose some battles but i would understand better why the hospital had certain policies. to you. my heart goes out to all moms with little ones in the nicu.

have you talked to your local leader?
    She could find some more info for you.

no i haven't. how do i find a local leader? i'm so new to this.

look in the gray bar at the top of the page where it says find local support
    pull down usa
    then pick your state.
    When you get your state loaded then you can look up your area.

First of all, congratulations on the new baby. What a wonderful gift you are trying to give to him.

As you pump at home, you will want to freeze the milk for future use, even if the NICU won't let him have it now.

Also, you could go in armed with research showing that it is safe, and just give the breastmilk to the baby. If your NICU is anything like the one my twins were in, the nurses and docs forget that the baby belongs to you. You have the final decision, not them.

Here is an article that states that it does not pass thru the breastmilk. I would try to talk to a different doc.
    Last edited by Angi; January 8th, 2008 at 05:26 PM.

Mom to - 6 yrs, 4 yrs, and twins 3 years

Check out my Work at Home Job Here

Welcome, Pirate! You can find a local Leader by choosing from the drop down menu in the green area at the top of the page (next to the words "local support").

I only have limited information about Hepatitis E, but I can locate more information through my support persons. In the meanwhile, here is what I have found:

From The Breastfeeding Answer Book (2003) pg 540:

Hepatitis E is transmitted primarily via contaminated water. It is currently found in Asia, Africa, and the Middle East and has a 15 to 20 percent mortality rate among women who contract it during pregnancy (Fanous and Balart 1994; Purcell and Ticehurst 1988).

Very little is known regarding the transmission of hepatitis D, E, F, or G through human milk or if human milk offers any protection to babies of women who are carriers of these infections. In one study (Inaba 1997) of 5 mothers with hepatitis G, seven babies were followed and the researchers concluded that there was a very high level of transmission from mother to baby either in utero or during the birth process through fluid exchange, but there appeared to be no correlation between breastfeeding and transmission of infection.
    From Core Curriculum for Lactation Consultant Practice pg 698

d. Hepatitis E is self-limited and is not a chronic disease (usually associated with water contamination).
    e. Breastfeeding has not been shown to transmit this disease and should proceed as usual.
    Online preview link: http://books.google.com/books?id=_e6...NTY7wNwgu7b-b4

In the meanwhile, are you building/maintaining your milk production at home? Would you like some more information and suggestions for doing so? And how old is Hayden?

How are things going for you guys?

Quote Originally Posted by piratetink824 View Post
    My name is Corrie and my baby boy is Hayden. He was born at 30 weeks because I contracted hepatitis e and my fevers were too high for him to safely stay in. Even before I had him early I was planning on breast feeding. I began to pump while I was still in the hospital but dumped it until I was released. Now, even though I am home and healthy the hospital won't allow me to give him the breast milk because of the hepatitis. Everything I see online says that it's not transferred through any kind of bodily fluids. I just want some support as I continue pumping. They say once he comes home he can breast feed they just don't want to risk it while he's in the hospital.

Congratulations on the birth of your son. So glad you are now healthy! Don't quite "get" why breastfeeding now is considered a risk. You may want to ask the docs and other health professionals to explain and provide research evidence to support their position on why they don't want you to begin breastfeeding until Hayden is home. On the other end, here are some refs you may want to share with them and ask them to review/discuss with you:

http://www.medigraphic.com/pdfs/hepa...006/ah063y.pdf

http://www.springerlink.com/content/5yqrjd20c7k4ckpg/

http://www.breastfeeding.org/pdf/newsletter4.PDF

http://www.journals.elsevierhealth.c...04481/abstract or http://tinyurl.com/2t66g8

Good luck and keep us all posted!

You guys almost made me cry!!! Thanks to your research (which I printed out and went armed with it to the NICU) I am now allowed to breastfeed. They fed him my pumped milk today and tomorrow I start being able to feed him at the breast 2x a day if he is up to it (he still has a feeding tube).

Hayden was a month old yesterday. He's now up to 5 lbs and 1.6 oz and is probably headed home within the next 2 weeks. He's been doing so well and breast milk was the last thing I wanted for him that he had yet to get! Thank you all so much!!!!!!!!