Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: baby eating ALOT from bottles

Lightbulb baby eating ALOT from bottles

My DD is 20 wks old. She is currently taking more from a bottle then I can pump. I pump about 9-11oz while at work. She is starting to take 11-13oz daily. I pump 3x while at work. She eats only twice while I am gone but she eats a 5 oz and a 7 or 8oz bottle. I know this is a lot of milk in one sitting. When we are at home she is getting plenty to eat. I don't feel that it is a supply prob. I rented a Medela Symphony and it works great but I am still only getting about 10-11oz. She is gaining weight well. I use Breastflow bottles and I use a large holed nipple mainly because she gets very frustrated with the smaller hole and it will take her a VERY LONG time to eat with a small nipple(it could be the difference between eating for 20min and over an hour and unfortunately my husband is not that patient). Has anyone ever topped off bottles with water. Maybe taking a 5oz bottle and adding 1oz of water. That way she can still suck and fill up but not gorge herself on breastmilk. She is allergic to cow milk protein so if I have to give her formula it will be a foul tasting kind so I don't think that is going to work out well.

Default Re: baby eating ALOT from bottles

Many mothers find that their babies actually are not drinking as much of their expressed milk as it may seem. One way to be sure is to store it in smaller quantities and ask your care provider to offer a smaller amount to start and see if she your baby still wants more after finishing that smaller amount. Sometimes when mother thinks that her baby is taking all of that milk, a good deal is often thrown out because it is not finished during a feeding.

Some infants also have a need to suck, when they are done filling their belly. They want what's equivalent to comfort nursing. So, decrease the amount in her bottle, and let her suck on the empty bottle.

You can add in a pumping at other times of day. Pump one side while she's nursing the other side, or get up a little earlier in the morning and pump for a few minutes before feeding baby.

Water has no nutritional value to it; it's strictly a filler. While your baby's tummy may be filling up, it's doing nothing to help her grow, and may actually be preventing her from growing, since you'd be replacing nutrients and calories with nothing.
    Shannon
    LLL Leader

Protect your privacy online; don't use your full name. Click My Alias at the top left corner.

I'm horrible at html and encoding links, so I apologize in advance for all the long links!

well I know she is actually eating 7+ozs in one sitting. My sitter is a breastfeeding mom herself and has tried to slow my DD down so she would feel full and stop eating. She gives her 4 or 5 ozs then does stuff like change her diaper or try to play. she always wants more. Extra pumping has not seemed to increase my milk supply. I even rented a symphony pump. I'm afraid if I pump while she is eating she will not have enough to eat because she empties me everytime. When I feed her on my weekend she is satisfied though. I figured the water in the bottle was equivalent to letting her just suck and an empty bottle except she would be getting fluids. I also figured if she was not getting enough calories she would be waking me up more at night. But please correct me if this is not right.

I don't know that I have much advice to offer, just wanted to let you know that you're not alone. We are going through the same thing right now with my dd. She is only 2 1/2 months old, and just started daycare last Friday. While there, she ate 4 oz every 2-3 hours! I work 12 hour shifts, and there is no way I kept up with the amount she ate! It was recommended to me to put less in the bottles and then see if the daycare providers will allow her to comfort suck (on her pacifier) when she finishes. Obviously, if she's still acting hungry, they can offer her more milk. I think she just sucks and sucks and sucks until there is no more. I can't imagine what she'd do with an 8oz bottle! I kinda think she'd down the entire thing!
    ~Jaden Mae 04-05-06~
    --Self-weaned at 21 months--
    ~Avery Lynne 11-27-08~
    --Self-weaned at 23 months--
    ~Elise June 02-12-11~
    --Nursing like a champ--