Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Wont take a bottle, need to go back to work

Default Wont take a bottle, need to go back to work

After all the difficulty I had BFing- now it has smoothed out to a certain extent- no more crying/screaming at the breast etc... now the little guy won't take a bottle. He is 3 mos old- there is still time right to get him onto a bottle right? He uses a Mam pacifier- does anyone know of a nipple that is similar to the Mam? ( I know- pacifiers are bad but I used it to help with the screaming at the breast and now I'm stuck).
    I have to go back to work! I have tried the Avent nipple and the Evenflo --no go. He just gets upset. How long do I keep trying to give him the bottle before I should give up?
    Thanks,
    Suzie

Default Re: Wont take a bottle, need to go back to work

Oh- I am only giving him breast milk in the bottle.

Have you tried the Playtex nurser nipples? I tried a bunch and it was the only one that worked for my DS.

I waited until 2 mos to get my ds to take a bottle of expressed milk, which in retrospect was too late, because we also had trouble getting him to take it. I read somewhere to try giving him a bottle for one of his night feedings, when he's sleepy but hungry and not awake enough to care how he's getting his tummy filled. So I pumped before I went to bed, kept the bottle next to the bed, and when he woke up, giving it to him that way (we co-sleep, so he was still laying in bed with me as if he were nursing). I also found that if he were on his side (as he would be nursing), he took it better.... anything to make him feel like it's not that different! At first he would only take it for a few minutes, then decide it wasn't working right and cry, so I'd give him the breast, but each night was a little longer on the bottle and now he takes it like a champ. We don't even give him a bottle that often, just when he has to stay with papa when mama has a dentist appt, etc, but he still takes it very well even with such infrequency. Good luck!

My son takes breast milk by bottle all day as I must work. We started around 2 months. We had to try a couple of different nipple flow speeds before we found the right one. You may want to try a 1, 2, 3, etc. My neighbor up the street had a baby who refused the bottle no matter what they tried and had to be fed by spoon when mom was at work...she still grew and did well, it just took a lot longer to feed her. So if worse comes to worse he won't starve, but I bet there is a nipple out there that he will take.

I waited too long to introduce a bottle as well. I was worried about nipple confusion. Ha! It took forever to get dd to even TRY to take a bottle. Eventually she took the playtex slow flow nipple. Still doesn't like it much but will accept it if she's hungry. Good luck!!

Wink Re: Wont take a bottle, need to go back to work

Don't worry, you're not alone. I am going back to work tomorrow and still struggling to get my daughter to take a bottle. I have found that she responds better to the Platex Latex nipples #1's. She is still breastfeeding at home in the evenings and I am only giving her bm in her bottles. She refuses any formula. I think the #1's are good since I still want her to bf when I can. Also, she takes the bottle better when she is hungry but not starving. Hope this helps to know that others are right there with you!

Thanks for all of the encouragement- I too was worried about nipple confusion, and we had a rocky first few months breastfeeding- so we will keep trying. I got the playtex nipples as many suggested- so I have hope.
    Thanks,
    Suzie

Also know that a bottle is not the only way to get ebm in to baby. As pp mentioned, you can try a spoon. Other possibilities include a finger feeder or even a cup! DS never took a bottle well but dh could get him to drink my ebm through a syringe that he takes his heart medication with.

I know this must be frusterating! On top of the stress of having to leave your precious little one and go back to work you are stressing over whether or not he will eat while you are gone! Don't be suprised if feeding patterns change when you go back to work. When ds was younger, I worked from home except when I had to be at meetings that would only last a couple of hours. DS would refuse the bottle until I got back! YOur baby will not starve! When mom returns to work, many babies sleep more during the day and wake more frequently during the night to feed (reverse cycling)-- it's their way of adjusting to being away from mommy by making the most of when they are with mom! I don't know if you are co-sleeping, but many moms have found this sleeping situation helpful with the more frequent wakings after returning to work, in additon to feeling like they were able to reconnect and bond with baby at night.
    Kristie L.
    LLL Leader
    (the poster formerly known as fezzik812)
    Wife to Brett, Mommy to Seamus (5.1.05), and Emelie (1.18.08)
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world."- Ghandi