Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: teething pain and nursing

Default teething pain and nursing

another question -

My 4 month old is teething and her gums are really swollen today. Poor thing!

She ate fine at daycare today... then i just tried to nurse her and she kept latching on and then pulling off and crying, arching, the whole 9. I assume it hurts more to nurse than to suck a bottle? We heated up a bottle of EBM from today and she's eating just fine now.

So I guess I just answered my own question, but I guess I would feel better to know others have seen this too?

I hate to miss out on the nursing time, but I'd rather her eat with less pain - I guess I'm off to pump. Is this what you would do? I don't think this will get her too used to the bottle, we've had nights like this before and she has always nursed by the end of the night...

I need encouragement, please! Any ideas to make nursing less painful for her?

thanks!

Default Re: teething pain and nursing

What kind of nipple flow are you using at day care?

Quote Originally Posted by carpentergirl View Post
    What kind of nipple flow are you using at day care?
    Nuk ortho - the slowest flow. that's what my LC suggested...

My DD is 4 months and teething, too. She is also pulling on and off, arching the back, etc. Have been using Highlands teething tablets, which I think help. My ped did say that teething can affect bf, but didn't specify how LO might respond to the pain while feeding.

It sometimes helps to offer something cold to chew on right before nursing. Even when DS doesn't want to nurse b/c of teething, he usually will when sleeping.

Quote Originally Posted by I-Man's Momma View Post
    It sometimes helps to offer something cold to chew on right before nursing.
    Be prepared for frozen nipples, though! Sometimes I forget that DD has been sucking on a frozen teether before I nurse her and I get a lovely cold surprise!
    I love my kids. I care for them accordingly. What more can I say?

Ok, I just wanted to make sure that it wasn't related to the flow of the nipple, making nursing too easy.
    Some babies really seem to struggle with teething. It can be heartbreaking to watch, and frustrating when they seem to refuse the breast. Here are some things that might help. Elevate baby when you are nursing. Some babies find that the pain of teething is intensified when lying down. Freeze a tiny bit of bm and make a mommy popsicle- a yummy treat! You can serve it up in a mesh feeder without worrying about choking hazards.
    Do you normally nurse in a specific position?
    How about a nice warm bath to relax baby before offering? Sometimes they pick up on our stress, and I know it is worrisome to have a baby that refuses to bf. Maybe some no pressure skin to skin contact in a dimly lit room. hth

Quote Originally Posted by carpentergirl View Post
    Do you normally nurse in a specific position?

How about a nice warm bath to relax baby before offering? Sometimes they pick up on our stress, and I know it is worrisome to have a baby that refuses to bf. Maybe some no pressure skin to skin contact in a dimly lit room. hth
    I do normally nurse in pretty much the same positions... cradle hold most of the time, laying in bed together in the mornings on weekends.

I'm sure she sensed my tension after a while last night - my husband did! I ended up giving her a bottle of EBM and then pumping. Usually right before bed she's sleepy enough that she'll nurse even when her teeth hurt, but last night she just cried! Poor baby. This morning she nursed with some crying at 3am, just until the milk (finally) let down, then she was fine. (I have a pretty strong let-down, so she didn't have to work much once she got it going!) When I nursed her again before work, she did fine (she was mostly asleep that time.)

We'll see how tonight goes! Thank you all for your help!

You could try some different positions to see if it provides some relief from discomfort for your baby. Maybe football hold? Try propping up her head with a pillow on your lap to elevate her top half. Lying down can increase discomfort in some babies.