Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: how long in the freezer?

Default how long in the freezer?

How long can you keep milk frozen? I have a rotating system and use the oldest first, but wondered if three or four months is OK? Thanks

Default Re: how long in the freezer?

I think it all depends on the temp in your freezer, but I would use it ASAP.

Here is the info I found and use

Breastmilk stays fresh in the refrigerator (32 to 39 degrees F) for up to eight days (Pardou, 1994), in a self-contained refrigerator freezer compartment for three to four months, and in a deep freeze (0 degrees F) for at least six months.

I have found that in the fridge, at least mine, eight days is a little too long.

The PP is correct. It's very dependent upon the temp of your freezer. If you have a 'stand alone' freezer (deep freeze type unit) your milk will last longer - up to 6 months or so. If your freezer is part of the refrigerator unit, it may be closer to 3 months.

Regardless, always do a 'sniff test' when you thaw your milk. If it smells funky in any way, discard it!

Jsmom

I'm currently giving my 2nd son, Clay, (who is 7 months old) an occasional bottle of frozen milk that has been stored in a deep freezer for approximately 5 months now. So far, Clay has given me no indications that the milk is bad. At this point I'm wondering, how long past the 6 months is frozen milk good for in a deep freezer? I still have 7-1 gallon freezer bags stored with individual 2&3 ounces bags to be used up.

Theresa, Mother of Robbie (2 yrs) & Clayton (7 months)