Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 5 month old decreased eating

Default 5 month old decreased eating

My son will be 5 months old in 10 days. Lately has really decreased his eating. He has acid reflux, so I bottle feed him expressed breast milk to keep him elevated. He used to eat about 25-28 oz each day, and now he's down to 18-20 oz. He's just started sleeping through the night too (which is weird to me since he's decreased his eating). Has anyone else experienced this? Is it normal? He's gaining weight. Thanks in advance!

Mommy to Clayton Christopher born 8-18-07. And our new addition, Porter Lee born 12-10-08!
    Wife to Jeremy since 4-23-05

Dove Chocolate Discoveries
    Independent Chocolatier # 6740
    MoreChocolatesPlease@gmail.com

Default Re: 5 month old decreased eating

I don't really understand why you're bottlefeeding. BFing allows the baby to control their intake better so they usually reflux less than bottlefed babies. Plus it's just so much extra work!

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.

I bottle feed b/c I can keep him elevated better than breastfeeding him. I've pumped/bottlefed since he was 8 weeks old b/c this was the only way that I could get him to eat more than 2 min. long. He wasn't getting enough food when I breastfed b/c the milk was coming up too quickly.

I know it takes extra time, but it's completely worth it. I'm the only one out of all of my friends and family members that has continued w/ breastmilk and I am VERY proud of that. So I will take however long I need to so that my son gets what's best for him.
    Last edited by ksuer06; January 7th, 2008 at 07:22 PM.

Mommy to Clayton Christopher born 8-18-07. And our new addition, Porter Lee born 12-10-08!

@llli*emama is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Whew! I thought it was just us. I'm so glad you wrote in because I keep forgetting to.

My LO is 6 months old and starting at 5 months old, she decreased her intake by a lot - but mostly at the bottle. I work at home and the sitter has to give our baby two or three bottles (either formula or BM) during the day. Well, she went from happily eating 4.5 or 5 oz bottles to us begging her to finish 2 oz! Today, she ate 3.5 oz at one sitting and I was jumping for joy.

My parents looked after her while my DH and I were at a wedding and she absolutely refused to eat for about 6 hours. We were called home early because they were so ceoncerned.

I have no idea why this happens. Maybe they are realizing that they don't like bottles? Or that they want the control of BFing? Maybe you should experiment and try to BF a little - I know about the reflux but could you just try it sitting up? A friend of mine had her baby sit upright on her lap and BF that way. I would see if maybe your LO also eats less at the breast (like just stays on for a couple minutes).

Puzzling, isn't it??

Yea, it's really puzzling!!

I haven't BF for so long, that I don't think that's the issue. Maybe it's normal! Who knows!!!

@llli*emama is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

My LO continued to gain the same amount of weight each month that she had been gaining when she was eating a lot. Not sure how but she did. Our issue is that she was born underweight (problems with a skinny umbilical cord) so there have been concerns about her weight since she was in utero.

We feed her with 5 oz bottles but I had bought several 9 oz bottles because I had ASSUMED that she would graduate to 6 then 7 then 8 ounces. I never unpacked them and finally just returned them.

She's even going through a growth spurt and she's eating like a supermodel. Sigh...