Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2 weeks into it- having issues

Default 2 weeks into it- having issues

Hi-

I am new to this forum, and new to breastfeeding. I am currently BF my 2 week old daughter. She was latching on great and doing so well from the beginning- the last few days, she has been fussing as soon as I try to get her latched on. She will take my nipple into her mouth just for a second, not latch and then push herself backwards off of it or turns her head away and off of it....she does this 4-5 times before she will latch. Any ideas/advice/explanation? Once she does latch on, she is eating great! At her 2 wk checkup, she had went from her birth weight of 8 lbs 10 oz to 9 lbs 8 oz, so she is getting plenty to eat....just frustrating for both of us!

Default Re: 2 weeks into it- having issues

Is she getting a pacifier or bottle?

Have you changed any soaps, deodorants, lotions, detergents?

ETA: I know this can be very frustrating and exhausting. BTDT. While you're trying to figure out the source of the problem, can you try using some white noise to calm her before nursing? When my DD refused to nurse, the only thing that worked was if I put on the hair dryer, let her zone out a bit, and then offered the breast. Either that or nursing when she was mostly asleep. Hang in there, mama!
    I love my kids. I care for them accordingly. What more can I say?

She may be getting frustrated from OALD. Your milk may be coming down too fast for her liking and she is coming off to avoid getting too much to quick. Try to be patient.

Way too lazy for formula

Quote Originally Posted by DJ's Mom View Post
    She may be getting frustrated from OALD. Your milk may be coming down too fast for her liking and she is coming off to avoid getting too much to quick. Try to be patient.
    Shelly, I thought OALD too, except it sounds like she isn't even staying on long enough for letdown. But if she is, then this is definitely something to consider. We had troubles with that too. OP, could you clarify please?

No, no bottles- we use a Soothie pacifier only for the few minutes before a feeding if we have to change her diaper and she is screaming. This is like maybe 2 minutes a day....

I haven't changed any body products or detergents either.....

I have read about the let-down...my pediatrician suggested the opposite, that she may be frustrated by a slow let-down. I can't feel when my milk lets down, so I don't know when it happens....I don't have any leaking or spraying at all.

My confusion comes from the fact that she doesn't even suck at all before this starts....it's the very first touch of lips to nipple and she's squirming, pushing back, turning her head, etc. She'll purse her lips around my nipple, and then let go.

Quote Originally Posted by giraffecat View Post
    I can't feel when my milk lets down, so I don't know when it happens....I don't have any leaking or spraying at all.
    I didn't either for the first few months. The only way I could tell was when DD started doing serious sucking/swallowing instead of the shallow "starter" sucks. If she's pulling off right away, though, then your milk wouldn't have let down. Hmmm. You could look around on kellymom.com for ideas. Mamas, any other ideas?

Could she have gas and just be squirmy. The fact that she does eventually latch on and nurse well is great news Babies are such odd little people, sometimes we just can't figure out WHY they do something.

Have you tried nursing her in a dim, quiet room with no distractions?
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

Maybe you could try burping her beforehand? Could be a little gas.
    Becca SAHM to
    Veronica 10/31/05

and Preston 10/28/07

<--- me!
    (I love this smiley!)

I finally got on Facebook! If anyone wants to be my
    friend.

sometimes my LO does this...for us it's an instant gratification thing...she gets nipple into her mouth and wants milk, like, now! What I've been doing is hand expresseing a small amount of milk (just enough so that my nipple is wet) and then offering her the nipple. The little bit fo milk is enough to keep her interested long enough to latch. Good luck!