Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Baby very fussy and not sleeping much

Default Baby very fussy and not sleeping much

I do not know where to put this but I have a 3 month old who is awake some days 10+ hours at a time with no naps in between and my pediatrician does not seem concerned about this but I am. He is very fussy at times and nothing seems to make him happy, not eating, diaper change, burping, etc He is not colicy but will be just very cranky. Even when he does nap he can still be cranky. Is it a stomach ache? He is very gassy at times. What can I be eating to make his tummy upset? I have cut way back on caffeine, etc I am also taking prednisone for my Rheumatoid Arthritis but the pediatrician says that this would not cause him to be awake or have an upset tummy... but I am not sure if she is correct. Does anyone know if my medication is causing him to be so crabby? I am going in to a rheumatologist soon to switch medications anywas. Any insight at all? This is my 1st baby so maybe he is acting like any other baby, I have no idea.

Any help and advice is appreciated.
    Amanda

Mommy to my preemie prince Alexander Warren born at 35 weeks 6 days
    on 9/27/07 at 9:02PM Via C-section
    Birth Weight/Length - 5lbs 8oz, 18" long
    Current Weight/Length at 3 years old - 34lbs, 38 inches tall.

Mommy to my little princess Abigail Rose born at 38 weeks 3 days on 11/06/09 @ 6:51PM Via C-section.
    Birth Weight/Length - 6lbs, 19 inches
    Breastfeeding and doing great!

Default Re: Baby very fussy and not sleeping much

It might not be anything you're eating at all. My LO had a lot of gas from the beginning and nothing helped. I think sometimes they just have to outgrow it. Have you tried wearing your LO in a sling? I didn't start swaddling and sling wearing until my LO was about 3 months old and then all of a sudden I realized he really like it. He would take great naps there and then everybody would be happier. He's too big for the sling now, but he still likes the hip hammock and he'll still fall asleep nicely in the swing.
    Mom of 1, AJ born 4/12/07

thank you

I have a sling but he hates it, he cries every time I put him in it.
    Amanda

Mommy to my preemie prince Alexander Warren born at 35 weeks 6 days
    on 9/27/07 at 9:02PM Via C-section
    Birth Weight/Length - 5lbs 8oz, 18" long
    Current Weight/Length at 3 years old - 34lbs, 38 inches tall.

Mommy to my little princess Abigail Rose born at 38 weeks 3 days on 11/06/09 @ 6:51PM Via C-section.
    Birth Weight/Length - 6lbs, 19 inches
    Breastfeeding and doing great!

When my baby was 3 months old she did the same think. It might be that he is going through a growth spurt, which you can expect 3,4,6,9, and 12 months. At these times they are always more fussy. The sling worked great for me, but if that doesn't work, just hold him really close in your arms and let him eat as often as he would like. He will want to eat more at these times. Also if you eat a lot of dairy it could make is tummy upset. So try to cut back and see what happens. It may not be anything that you are eating though, it could just be that he is crying a lot and swallowing air and in turn making gas in his tiny belly.
    Last edited by mommy shur shur; January 7th, 2008 at 10:26 PM.