Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: nipple question:

Default nipple question:

I am 38 wks pregnant. I want to breastfeed. I am worried about my nipples.
    they look completely different from each other. They just look weird to me - maybe it's because I've never really inspected them before! lol! But, I have noticed that both nipples have these hard crystal looking things that I can remove and then my milk will come out if I squeeze. They are not sore or anything so I know it's not a blocked duct - anyone know what this is?

Default Re: nipple question:

I had the same thing happen to me....didn't know what it was and still don't but I am bfeeding. I will keep reading up on this so I know too. Sorry I am not much help.

thanks - it's nice to know that i'm not the only one - and you are succesfully breastfeeding. 3 babies! how nice. This will be my first. my best friends little girl is Malia - pretty close to the name of one of your children. I'm guessing you are from UK?

It sounds like you have some dried colostrum (your baby's first milk) on your nipples and that's what you are then able to squeeze out. Completely normal. It's also normal for nipples/breasts to be different. It might cause you to prefer feeding on one side over the other (many of us have a favorite at least for a while), but it's no problem.

Have you read a good book on breastfeeding? If not, you might find that helpful in the next couple of weeks. The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding and Breastfeeding Made Simple are both good reads.

probably just some dried colostrum. I agree

thanks for the comments. should I take out the crystal like things or just
    leave it be until I start breastfeeding.

Leave it. The montgomery glands are just doing their job by lubricating the nipple for you. Normal. Go obsess on other pregnant lady stuff. Isn't their something yummy you want to eat? See, I distracted you already didn't I?