Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Update on LC stressing me about daughter's weight

Talking Update on LC stressing me about daughter's weight

Natalie had her 2 month appt today and weighed 9 llbs 1 oz. The doctor said she'd gained 1 lbs 4 ozs in a month and he was ok with her weight gain and told me not to worry. He said was in the 10th percentile at birth and still is now.

So I am relieved. I was afraid he was going to say we had supplement with formula or something.

At the suggestion of a poster here I had him look at her tongue for possibly being tongue tied..and thankfully she is not.

We are doing great overall. I will not be going to the breastfeeding support group this week. We're having car issues and down to one vehicle until the other is repaired.

I am going to try to find a local LLL meeting and possibly still go to group with the nutty LC. My husband suggested I go and ignore the LC and just go to try to make new friends with other Moms.

Thanks for the help everyone!

(Also FYI Natalie was 8lbs 13oz on Wednesday and 9 lbs 1 oz today so that is a pretty decent gain in 5 days)
    Proud Mom to Natalie Morgan! Born 10-29-07
    **WE'VE MADE IT BEYOND 6 MONTHS BFING!!!

Default Re: Update on LC stressing me about daughter's weight

One pound 4 ounces is weight progress! Way to go mama!

The LC at my bf support group isn't much help and just kept telling me Natalie is not gaining enough. It isn't much of a support group..just people going in and weighing their babies before and after feed. I thought since it is dubbed as a "support group" there would be ACTUAL support from the LC..maybe even weekly topics, etc. Nothing like that..mainly the LC talking about her personal life. The only time BF comes up is if a Mom interrupts the LC to ask a question.

Quote Originally Posted by utsarah View Post
    The LC at my bf support group isn't much help and just kept telling me Natalie is not gaining enough. It isn't much of a support group..just people going in and weighing their babies before and after feed. I thought since it is dubbed as a "support group" there would be ACTUAL support from the LC..maybe even weekly topics, etc. Nothing like that..mainly the LC talking about her personal life. The only time BF comes up is if a Mom interrupts the LC to ask a question.
    I know it's wrong to laugh, but something about that really tickled me I think I'd stop going to the meetings.

The LC/meeting reminds me of my yearly fire lectures that were a mandatory part of my old job. 55 minutes of some retired blowhard reminiscing about his time in the fire service and 5 minutes of information, dubious in it's usefulness. It shouldn't have been called a 'fire safety lecture', more like 'An Hour of Boring Anecdotes From Some Old Fart'. It was a good time for a quick nap... but I digress (I'm good at that).

Natalie sounds like she's doing just great! Keep up the good work.

@llli*emama is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Ha! That's horrible and hilarious at the same time!

OMG what a joke. That's really bad. At least you've seen the light and you know what she's like now, you can use the group to chat to other mums and ignore the "LC". Good on you for giving Natalie the best, it's obviously working!
    Claire, Mum to Archie, 5 and Jack, almost 3! Number 3 on the way!

My husband told me the LC is probably getting paid good money to sit there and talk about herself. lol After only 2 months of bfing I feel like more of a "lactation consultant" than she is. When Moms ask questions sometimes I will even be brave enough to offer what works for me.

Recently the LC said that she didn't understand why Natalie didn't like Avent bottles due to the nipple shape. I told her she ONLY likes playtex dropins bottle with latex nipple. She said that type of nipple causes nipple pain in a lot of Moms..well not us! What is interesting is that from what I've read a LOT of bf babies prefer that nipple. After I said the the LC, "Well we use what works" another Mom piped up that she uses the same bottle I do.