Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: The Screaming..

Default The Screaming..

I wrote about this before and I've been to the doctor about it.
    DS has devolped this bad problem of screaming while hes eating. At first i thought it was gas now i'm not so sure. He use to arch his back and scream but its turned into him kicking his legs out like crazy and screaming while hes trying to eat. He also does it in the middle of eating. He'll have the nipple in his mouth and i can hear swallowing middle the screaming with his mouth full of nipple. hes almost 8 weeks old and hes been doing this for 3 or so weeks now. The doctor put him on Zantac, for heartburn?, a week and a half ago. he also had a bad problem with spiting up/puking which is so much better since the zantac, not even sure if thats what the zantac was suppose to help with. but the screaming is just as bad. its near impossible to feed him, i burp him, that doesn't help. sometimes he will spit up and that sometimes helps. I believe i have OALD and probably a supply issue but hes done it both when they seems too much milk and other times when their seems like not enough(i can't hand express any). when he first starts eating and after hes been eating for a while. could he just be moody about eating?
    any ideas what could be wrong?

Default Re: The Screaming..

It sounds like acid reflux. That is why our ped. put DS on Zantac. Sometimes though they need something stronger. I have heard that Prevacid might be more effective if Zantac doesn't work. Our ped. also had us use Mylanta (1/4 tsp) every 4-6 hrs prn when he was especially bad.

HTH

Jennifer
    Amazed and Proud mom of Luke (Lucas) - 4/5/2006; 9 lbs 12 oz , 22in
    Wife to best friend Carl - 11/4/2001

I just posted about this on another thread...

Dd (6 months) has had reflux since birth. Started on Zantac, which is very weight-sensitive, and soon outgrew the max dose. Refused to eat for 5 weeks (only when asleep or sleepy). Refused ebm and formula as well. Started Prevacid, starting nursing again w/in 4 days but still wasn't taking in enough milk. She seems to be outgrowing the reflux now and is nursing like a champ.

Arching, screaming, spitting up, choking, gagging, stuffy nose particularly in the mornings, hiccups after most feedings--all classic signs of reflux. Make sure his Zantac dose is high enough--most docs will start them out on the lowest possible dose and then increase gradually. Because of dd's nursing strike I am afraid to advise anyone to wait--you don't want your baby to have a negative association w/ nursing. I would ask to go straight to the max dose.

Many people believe reflux can be completely cured by changing diet, particularly by cutting out dairy and soy. I tried that but am very dependent on dairy for my protein (I'm a pretty picky eater) so I had a 6-day migraine and was starving during that entire time. It was either put her on meds or switch to formula. I knew the meds would be short term but with formula there would be no going back...so I chose the meds. I have guilt about it but I don't know if I'd do anything differently looking back.

My son does that too, sometimes, although not as bad. I had been assumming it was gas. In side-lying he doesn't do it at all...you may want to try that.

Zantac dose is 6-8mg per each kg your baby weighs divided twice a day (that's what gastroenterologists prescribe) if you want to check to see if the dose is high enough. It takes up to 6 weeks for the inflammation and pain of the esophagus to completely heal, so you may need to wait that long to see if the zantac is working. Usually it's better within 2-3 weeks, though. The zantac is not supposed to make the spitting up better, just not painful.

It does sound like reflux. You may not have a high enough dose. If he has trouble taking it because it tastes horrible, you can mix it in a half an ounce of pear juice.

Hey Zoey....
    Sorry you are still having such a hard time. I don't have much advice on this subject, but it seems like you are getting good advice from the other Mom's here. I just wanted to encourage you and tell you that I think you are doing a great job w/your little boy. Keep your chin up girl Keep us posted if you go back to the DR to get higher dose of Zantac or a diff med.

Hang in there and the 4 most powerful words.....This too shall pass.

Blessings,
    Dawn

Honestly never thought about the dose being too low or that he simply out grew it. It makes prefect sense though. He goes back for his shots on the 3rd gonna see if i can hold out until then. But the last two nights he was acting hungry and fussy for about 5 hours or so and i was feeding him every hour as he wanted and both nights he ended up pukeing everywhere. there was so much that came out i could literally ring out puke from my underwear. i wonder if thats related at all. if he does it again tonight i'll bring him in. is breastfeeding always this much trouble?

Quote Originally Posted by Zoeythelost
    is breastfeeding always this much trouble?
    No, not always. I believe you maybe more challanged than most. If you are feeling this way, I could call the ped and ask about upping the dosage. Reach out for as much help as you can during this time, you will need the strength to help you continue.