Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 9 Month Old Not Wanting to BF

Exclamation 9 Month Old Not Wanting to BF

Summer is here and school is out. I am a half time Kindergarten Teacher so I was only gone from my son from 8-12. He would get one bottle of ebm every day. Now that I am home all the time, he does not want my boob at that time. He turns away, bites it, and just refuses to eat. He has done this more every day since last Monday. Today is really hot and I offered him bm from me 3 times since his successful morning feed at 6am. He has not been willing to eat at all. I finally gave him water because it is so hot. He also ate more solids but he won't eat from me? Is this because it is different then what he is used to? Is he having a nursing strike? How do I assist the strike to end? Help please.

Default Re: 9 Month Old Not Wanting to BF

Is he nursing at other times or is it a complete strike? If he is just refusing that one feeding and eating other foods, he might actually be self-weaning. My DD did the same thing at about 9 months (just dropped one of her bottle feedings but continued nursing). Now (at almost 1 year) she still nurses morning and night and occasionally in between (especially when the teeth are coming in) but has lost a lot of interest in both bottles and nursing during the day. Others may have better insights, though. This is just my experience.

CJ's mama

It is now a full strike. He has not really fed since yesterday morning at 6am. There have been a few sucks and then screams or biting. It is so frustrating. He is drooling a lot so I wonder if another tooth is coming in. He seems happy though. We have given him some water because it is in the 90's and we have no A/C.

I can 't tell you how much I feel for you. If you've been on the boards the past couple of weeks you'll see my posts about my DD who is also on a nursing strike. The best I can tell, she is cutting her 1st year molars and is chewing on anything and everything in sight. I think the mouth pain is really what is causing the strike for us. She even pushes away the sippy cup (which she took water from regularly before the strike). She'll only drink out of a straw. She was never a bottle feeder, so that hasn't been an option for us.

I'd say that he's on a strike and not self-weaning. It isn't developmentally time for babies to wean at 9 months. And if he went from nursing multiple times one day to completely regecting the breast the next - it's a strike. Babies or children who are weaning themselves cut a feeding or two out a day, but are glad to nurse at other times.

A few things that have been helpful for me:

1) You've done nothing. This isn't about you. DS is just trying to work things out for himself and he's probably in pain.

2) Hang in there!

3) Find other ways for you and your baby to have close time. I've enjoying taking baths with my DD. We also are back to co-sleeping. She was in her crib, but I wanted the extra cuddle time and also thought that it would be easier to get her back to the breast if it was right there.

4) Pump, pump, pump. It might take a few days for you to regulate your supply if you are exlusively pumping. I found that all of a sudden I had way too much milk - the opposite may happen as well. So just be patient, and it will work itself out.

5) Lastly, know that you have it in you to get through this. Every one of us nursing moms is a champion. Being a nursing mom is a tough job - and so you didn't get to be one without some blood, sweat and tears (literally, I'm sure). Your DD may come back in a few days, or you may be pumping for the forseen future. Either way, you're a great mom and your DS loves you. He's lucky to have you.

Keep us posted.

My son, also 9 months is going through a bit of this...he is cutting all four of his top front teeth. Major pain. We were up until 3 am crying this morning, and he wanted nothing to do with nursing. I now give him tylenol every 4-5 hours, and use orajel. He is nursing great now!

HTH

I completely understand what you are going through. My almost 9 mo. old DS has been on strike for quite some time now. Ailish's Mom gave some excellent advice. I would second all that she has said, however, unlike the luck that she's had with pumping, my supply over the strike has been slowly diminishing. So, I guess you should be prepared for anything. If your supply does start to go down, I would recommend Fenugreek pills and Mother's Milk Tea. Both can help.

I would also recommend the following: try nursing in a dark place so you can limit distractions, try to provide as much skin-to-skin contact as possible, and try to nurse in different positions and/or while moving (walking, rocking, etc).

Keep trying - have patience and, as Ailish's Mom said, your DS is not refusing YOU, he just isn't interested in nursing right now. He still loves his Mama and appreciates all of the hard work she has put into nursing thus far. Best of luck. I hope that your son returns to nursing soon. Keep us posted!