Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Milk of Magnesia

Default Milk of Magnesia

My lo is a little constipated. We started her on solids a couple weeks ago. I started to thicken her cereal a little bit more, but still pretty liquidy. My caregiver asked if she could give her a little diluted apple juice to see if that would help. She is in some discomfort. I called my ped to get his thoughts and he said to give her Milk of Magnesia 1/4 tspn 2 times a day until she is regular. I don't feel comfortable with this advice because I don't want her to depend on laxatives to move her bowels. Any advice?

Default Re: Milk of Magnesia

How long since the last bm? I agree with your care giver and give your lo diluted apple juice, pear juice, prune juice, and white grape juice.

I would personally be very careful with MOM (milk of mag.) my son was on it for a long time and it is NOT a fun thing to see your lo deal with IMHO.

If the natural ways do not help then I would ask your ped about Myralax. My son has been on it for a year for med. reasons, plus it works with your body. It will not dehydrate(sp) your lo like MOM will. My ds gi explained how Myralax works compared to MOM, but I can not remember the exact details it has been so long.

I HTH and I hope you lo goes soon.
    Becky ~ 33 Dh ~ 37 (my little geek of geeks)
    Dd1 ~ Brittney 5yrs aka Bunny
    Ds ~ Xander 3yrs aka Xaxu
    Dd2 ~ Bailie 1yr aka Dede

Still going 14months later.

1yr goal and save $2200 average.

Remember - constipation is not the time between bm's, but rather the consistancy of the poop when it comes ... So though it may have been a few days, she may pass a soft stool when the time comes. Solids do alter their bm patterns so it is something to be mindful of - but I wouldn't give the MOM at this point. I'd modify the solids I was giving or just stop them altogether for a spell.

As the pp asked - how long has it been?
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

It has been 2 days. I fed her cereal and pears on Friday and took a break Saturday and Sunday. She's pretty regular and goes about 2 x's a day. Last night for almost two hours I was rubbing her belly because she kept straightening herself out and pushing like she was trying to make poo. Then she would cry when nothing happened. She was also gassy. I also notice that if she doesn't go normally then she spits up more, then wants to eat again. She woke up 3 times last night which isn't like her so I figure she must be uncomfortable. When she straightened out to push I could feel the little bulge below her tummy.

I still wouldn't consider that constipation. Just dont give her any more cereal and wait it out. It can be days and days and still be considered typical... The gas is probably due to the cereal and a potential problem with it... You can stop giving that to her and just do other foods. Might be somthing to consider. Here's more info

G/L
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

I had to stop cereal on ds because it was just doing more harm than good. I would just give him fruits and veggies things high in fiber.
    Becky ~ 33 Dh ~ 37 (my little geek of geeks)
    Dd1 ~ Brittney 5yrs aka Bunny
    Ds ~ Xander 3yrs aka Xaxu
    Dd2 ~ Bailie 1yr aka Dede

Still going 14months later.

1yr goal and save $2200 average.