Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: waiting for a miracle?

Default waiting for a miracle?

Okay, so Ben will nurse once maybe twice a day max(very rarely twice a day), but often times will refuse even before nap or bedtime, which puts him at times nursing once every 48 hrs. He has gone two days without nursing at all. I have read that some kids just give it up on their own, which is what I was hoping for. However, we have been doing this 'random' nursing now for about 3 weeks. If he was going to nurse more frequently and acted like he wanted to nurse all the time, I would assume he wasn't ready and take his cue. However, I think he would be fine if we just stopped, but I don't want to traumatize him either. Do you think it is reasonable to just refuse for a few days and see how it goes to see if he puts up a big fight? I just put him down for a nap after we read stories. We did not nurse, however, he didn't really ask, but he was pretty peeved that I stuck him in his crib. He threw all his sleep stuff out, including his pacifier, so I went back in and gave them back, he wanted to be picked up,so I sat with him in the rocker and he just kept pointing to the door. I put him back in, he yelled for less than two minutes and stopped. So, I guess after all this rambling, my question would be this: Do you think he is ready to wean and would be fine if we wrapped it up now? I really think when he is pitching a fit at bedtime it is because he doesn't want to go to bed. He usually goes to bed without a problem, but it is not always consistant when he does nurse and when he doesn't. Sometimes he will do it after he has nursed, and sometimes he does it after he has refused nursing. I guess my feeling is if he is ready to wean, I don't want to continue it by sticking a breast in his mouth every time he is mad about going to bed (which isn't even very often).

Sorry for the ramble Thanks for reading all of that. BTW, Bennett is 21 months old.

Default Re: waiting for a miracle?

IT sounds like he wants it more as part of the routine than anything. Changing routine is the hardest part for us, too. I'd say if you're ready, and you think he's pretty much ready, just try it and see how it goes. You can always go back if you think it's not working!

Thanks for the response! This has been something I have struggled with. I am ready to wean, but not at his expense, kwim? If he were done, I would be fine with it, but i don't want to force it either. On the other hand, I am not above giving a little nudge in that direction if he is going to just nurse every other day.

Right now, I have decided to read the stories, put him in his bed, if he throws a fit, I will go and hand him back his sleep stuff that he will inevitably throw out of his crib, give him a minute to settle. If he doesn't settle, I have been going back in and picking him up and sitting with him in the chair. He doesn't try to nurse at that point, which I am thinking that if that is what he was upset about, he would want to nurse once I was back in the room.

He did want to nurse Monday morning, which morning is an unusual time, and was pretty adament about it, so we nursed then and that has been the last time. I guess we will just take it day by day

We were at the point of random nursing when I decided to take the plunge and say no more. Not that I can tell anyone what to do, but I was happy with the decision. All we needed was a little distraction a couple of times and she was good. No trauma at all. I think that there is a little bit of guilt at first and any unusual behavior makes you wonder if you are doing the right thing but they are toddlers and we all know the behavior changes all the time. Sounds like that is the issue with his sleep right now. I would say purely developmental. But if it was really something bothering him, you would know- it would come across throughout the day too. Meltdowns and such... Bottom line, go with your gut. You are a great mom and you will know deep down if he is ready. Even if he does start to miss it some in the next few weeks, some cuddling and lots of attention will give him what he needs. He is old enough to that you could even make some fun of it- throw a party or something. I know you will make the right decision and I don't want to push you in a certain direction but personally I am hoping that there is some pizza in your future soon.

Misty
    Loving my two sweet girls Audrey (7/18/06) and Annie (6/18/09) Baby #3 due to appear 8/5/10

Feel free to ask me about my successful HBAC , food allergies, cloth diapers, and the joy of having a high-needs, non-sleeping little dear who has grown into a wonderful preschooler.

Blogging here.

Thank you! I think that is what I needed to hear