Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how young is too young?

Default how young is too young?

my LO is just over 4 months and for a few weeks she has been super interested in our food anytime someone is eating she is reaching for it, and thanks to my 2 yr old has gotten to taste a french fry, is she too young for this? My Dh now wants to let her try some stage 1 type baby food, im scared she is too young but she is soo interested, she can roll over and she can sit up on her own for about 30 seconds or until she pushes backwards but she sits up straight in her swing (like she would be sitting in a highchair). is she just to young? or should i let my DH give it a try?

Default Re: how young is too young?

You will see there are some moms that started before the recommended 6mo date, but I know my lo show clear signs of wanting to eat. What ever you do, take it slow....
    Married mama with 4 kiddos...2 girls (11 & 6) and 2 boys (21mo & 3mo)

I wouldn't make it a staple in your LOs diet.....but since experimenting is happening already just be s-----l-----o-----w and careful what you try

I didn't give anything until about 6.5 mo but my DS showed signs on sensitivities to foods.
    Danielle

Mom to Gage 12/28/06

Wife to Trinity 6/21/03 my best friend

ed for year, finally done!!!!
    for more than a year now!

IMO 4 months is too young...and so is 6 months. I think at the bare minimum the child should be able to hold herself up in sitting position for an unlimited amount of time (complete control), not propped in a bouncy or anything else.

Keep in mind that just b/c they are reaching or seem interested that does not indicate that it's time to introduce anything. My dd reaches for my coffee and I'm not going to let her sample it..and she reaches for the phone, but is not quite ready to talk on it.

Here's a great resource on why you should wait.
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

Quote Originally Posted by NolaMomma View Post
    IMO 4 months is too young...and so is 6 months. I think at the bare minimum the child should be able to hold herself up in sitting position for an unlimited amount of time (complete control), not propped in a bouncy or anything else.

Keep in mind that just b/c they are reaching or seem interested that does not indicate that it's time to introduce anything. My dd reaches for my coffee and I'm not going to let her sample it..and she reaches for the phone, but is not quite ready to talk on it.

Couldnt agree more!

I'm Heather, SAHM to Cooper , born 1/2007
    and Bennett, our precious NICU grad born 8/2009
    and wife to Bill since 10/2003!
    We're young, but we know we can do it!
    Life with the Stevens-blog

I'm an Ergo Baby Carrier affiliate!

i dont really want to start solids as a regular part of her diet but as something to try not as anysort of substitute but like giving an older child a treat? ykwim? is there really any harm in it?

Thanks for the link i may show that to my Dh and see if i can convince him to hold off a little longer, we delayed solids until almost 9 months with my son but he did have some food allergies, my LO doesnt seem to have the same sensitivities but that may have more to do with breastmilk, im really on the fence about this, i know my DH really wants to give it a little try, maybe with fruits? I dont think it will interfere with her appitite during the day she doesnt nurse that often during the day anyways, she snacks alot during the day she does her big eating at night almost constantly,thanks for the info ladies,

My son started showing interest in solids at about 3.5 months -- reaching out for what we were eating, staring at it, following the utensil from plate to mouth with his eyes, etc. I did offer him a lick or two of juice from fruit I was eating, but waited to offer him any solids until he was 6 months. Even then, in spite of all his interest, he had a hard time swallowing, choked a lot, and didn't really seem too impressed with the reality of solids. (And he hated, and still does, cereal -- even mixed with fruit and or breastmilk.)

He's 8.5 months now and it's only in the past week or so that he's really got the swallowing thing down and is actually enjoying food. We took it very slow and that worked for us.

I would be mostly concerned about the maturity of the digestive system at 4 months. It is still maturing, and can have difficulty digesting new things early on. If you do give solids that young, I'd be sure to start very very slowly and use only highly digestible foods.

I agree with pp's that 4 months is a little early. My DH was also keen for Ash to move to solids but I think for men it may be just a desire to see them take that next step, tick another box. YKWIM?

As for the reaching, Ash reaches for everything. Since when do children decide whats best for them. My 6 YO step daughter wants sweets 24/7 but Im not going to say. 'Oh look, she s reaching for them, she really wants them, lets give them to her...'
    Karli, Besotted mother of Ashley,8lb 9oz - 9th May 2007 and Fae 8lb 11oz 17th Feb 2010, both born at home, naturally.

Nappy-free @ 18 months EC'ing rocks!
    Just leave it alone.

Quote Originally Posted by mom2randc View Post
    I dont think it will interfere with her appitite during the day she doesnt nurse that often during the day anyways...
    Why do you think that? If you put something in her stomach, in place of breastmilk, it will make her less hungry. That's not an opinion. The end result is you making less milk.

Just wait, when she does start eating solids on a regular basis, you'll be longing for the old days of EBFing!! Don't rush it, there's no need and if you end up with a case of constipation (this is what bananas did to my dd) because the digestive system is just not mature enough....you'll be mad at yourself and you know you don't want that.
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

Quote Originally Posted by NolaMomma View Post

Just for the record DS could sit on his own for an unlimited amount of time at 6.5 mo on the floor but I do understand what you are saying and I agree that reaching for something doesn't indicate readiness
    Danielle

Mom to Gage 12/28/06

Wife to Trinity 6/21/03 my best friend

ed for year, finally done!!!!
    for more than a year now!