Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it true you let the baby eat until they spit you out???

Default Is it true you let the baby eat until they spit you out???

I have 3 kids and attempted breastfeeding with my first 2 ( way flat nipples). I was and still am very unedjucated about breast feeding. I have successfully been BF my newborn now 10 weeks!!! yeah! But how long do they eat? In the hospital they said 10 minutes on each side and now she eats 10 miutes on one side and I pull her off. I just heard you let them eat until they spit you out?? Any one know if it's tru?
    *she is gaining weight generously so I am not worried about that.
    Can anyone help?

Default Re: Is it true you let the baby eat until they spit you out???

Quote Originally Posted by 3crazykids View Post
    I have 3 kids and attempted breastfeeding with my first 2 ( way flat nipples). I was and still am very unedjucated about breast feeding. I have successfully been BF my newborn now 10 weeks!!! yeah! But how long do they eat? In the hospital they said 10 minutes on each side and now she eats 10 miutes on one side and I pull her off. I just heard you let them eat until they spit you out?? Any one know if it's tru?
    Can anyone help?

My LC suggested for me to let him eat until he let go on the first breast and offer the second if he was still hungry. I use to limit him which is what my ped. wanted me to do. My ped. also wanted me to make my LO wait to eat for every 3 hours. I did this for awhile, then I went back to following my LO lead. He is much happier. He is 12 weeks eats every 21/2-3 hours for 10-20 minutes on the first breast and sometimes has the other. I agree with the mom's on the forum, follow your LO's lead. My mom is also a ped nurse and her point is your LO knows what they want and when they are hungry or full. Hope that helps....

When Thomas was newborn, he would sometimes spend 20-30 minutes on each breast. I just let him eat for as long as he wanted because I figured he needed to. Now he finishes both sides usually in under 10 minutes, a little longer if he's sleepy. I'd say let 'em eat until they let go.

Quote Originally Posted by hollandperformancehorses View Post
    My LC suggested for me to let him eat until he let go on the first breast and offer the second if he was still hungry. I use to limit him which is what my ped. wanted me to do. My ped. also wanted me to make my LO wait to eat for every 3 hours. I did this for awhile, then I went back to following my LO lead. He is much happier. He is 12 weeks eats every 21/2-3 hours for 10-20 minutes on the first breast and sometimes has the other. I agree with the mom's on the forum, follow your LO's lead. My mom is also a ped nurse and her point is your LO knows what they want and when they are hungry or full. Hope that helps....
    Thanks for the suggestion, I will let her eat and see how long she goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas's Mum View Post
    When Thomas was newborn, he would sometimes spend 20-30 minutes on each breast. I just let him eat for as long as he wanted because I figured he needed to. Now he finishes both sides usually in under 10 minutes, a little longer if he's sleepy. I'd say let 'em eat until they let go.
    I will try that. If she keeps eating past that time my breast start to hurt. NOT my nipple but my breast, does that mean all the milk is gone??? Sorry for the silly questions.

Quote Originally Posted by 3crazykids View Post
    Can anyone help?
    that is too cute! No way, you don't feed a formula kid that way either!! Just feed until shes satisfied! you are doing great!! My Ds eat 30 min on each side at first so look at the baby not the clock, they will let you know. Limiting their time will effect your supply and your LO may not be getting enough hind milk. Babies know what they need in milk, let your LO lead you

OH wait!!! I thought it read til they spit up!!!!!!! Sorry, but the rest of what i said is good SORRY!
    Last edited by GageWsMom; January 7th, 2008 at 11:31 AM. Reason: i don't readwell
    Danielle

Mom to Gage 12/28/06

Wife to Trinity 6/21/03 my best friend

ed for year, finally done!!!!
    for more than a year now!

My LC suggested that in the beginning I limit it to 10 minutes per side (to avoid soreness) but that I could continue switching sides over and over until DD was satisfied. Once I got more comfortable, I just let her nurse until she was done. In the beginning that meant she nursed for FOREVER, but she very quickly got more efficient and could finish up in 5-10 minutes. Babies will generally nurse as long as they need to and let go, and there's no harm in letting them set the pace.
    I love my kids. I care for them accordingly. What more can I say?

Thanks for all the suggestions!!!!

Just to add that the Womanly Art of BF by LLL says to feed on one side until baby latches off or falls asleep...then burp baby and offer other side. Don't watch clock. Also it's okay to only feed off one side at one feeding because you may have two or three let-downs in one feeding session in one breast and your baby is then getting more of the hind-milk, which is the more fattening and nutritious milk. Sounds like you are doing great and in a way you are right that you wait till baby is done!!

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

My son usually eats on one side each feeding. I usually let him eat until he unlatches or if he's been comfort sucking for a while. I let him completely empty the breast.
    Homebirthing, breastfeeding, cloth diapering Mama to Jason (11/6/07).

Baby #2 due in January 2009.