Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Breast Strike??

Default Breast Strike??

Hi,

Firstly I must introduce myself. My name is Jannine, ;Im a 24 year old first-time Mum to a beautiful girl named Harriet Elizabeth born 21st of Seprtember '07

I have been exclusivly breast feeding since birth, and have so far never had to use formula and hope to keep it this way. I have had various issues trying to introduce EBM via various bottles to no avail, Im afraid its just boobie my little darling wants!! However the past 4 days have been an utter nightmare, she is refusing to feed off me and screaming, she'll only feed when asleep or half asleep, I have tried some EBM and she drank an ounce, she is feeding well (about 20-30mins) when she does decide to feed but yesterday she went 7 hours before she finally fed, shes also waking 3 times between 8pm and 7am for feeds and then struggling with her 7am feed. Could it be she is ready to wean? Or is she just at one of those awkward stages??

Any ideas greatfully appreciated...

Jannine xx

Default Re: Breast Strike??

She's about 4 months old. Does she seem distracted during feeding? http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns...ible-baby.html Does this seem familiar?

Or did she recently get a vax? Or is she teething?

I'd say she's not ready to wean, and most babies don't wean themselves until closer to the age of 2 years old. Also, it could be she's in pain - teething and ear infections commonly make it harder for some babies to nurse.

~*Allee*~

Damon 8/5/99 Heaven 7/24/01 Jasmine 7/20/07

Hi both,

Harriet is 3 and a half months. She isnt showing real signs of teething apart from chewing her hands which she has been doing for the past month. She was aboout 3 weeks ago showing real signs of teething, drooling, biting... well gumming my fingers and nipples(ouch) but still feeding fine.
    I have already checked out kellymom and this sounds familiar to how she was before but not now as she wont even entertain latching on, as soon as I cradle her and put her to my breast she arches her back and screams. She has just had a five min feed and fallen asleep and will feed at night. She seems to only want to feed when tired or asleep. Ive called my health visitor who is not there so spoke to a "Care advisor" who asked if i could give her a bottleof either ebm or formula, tried the ebm but she wouldnt take it and I really dont want to try FF, she also said "maybe shes just changed her feeding pattern to night feeding as she now wakes more in the night" - Great!! thats very helpful, still dont like leaving her not feeding for most of the day.

I did find this artical http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...east.html#coax

And tried the things on here but its been 4 days today and shes still not feeding well, the HV is coming out on Wednesday to weigh her and have a chat, but thats two days away... Funny thing is a packet of baby rice came in the post today and a booklet on weaning at 4 months (I thought we were to wait till 6 months?)Grrr this breast feeding lark was going so well till now!!!

Jannine xx

My son did the same thing lately, but he was older. I realized that he was just too interested in the world around. He would only nurse when he was very sleepy or asleep. We finally broke the strike when he was hungry, I layed down to nurse and that worked. Now, I nurse him when he goes down for sleep and right when he wakes up. If I wait, he gets too excited by anybody else around or a "new" environment (like the living room ). Then he won't nurse. It does seem like the nursing realtionship is always changing...
    Mom of 1, AJ born 4/12/07

Strikes are really difficult. Have you tried using a small cup, spoon, eye dropper or syringe to give the milk? That way, here sucking needs are only getting filled at the breast. How many times a day has she been nursing (including night)? I know it is hard when they have such an adverse reaction to nursing, but she might still be getting enough during the times she will take the breast. You mentioned that she starts arching and screaming when you putting her in the cradle hold--have you tried different positions? Hang in there!

Jannine, strikes are awful and there's loads of us on here who've been through them, and at least we're living proof that on the whole, the bubs come out of them fine the other side. It's just so stressful on us mums because we just want out babies to feed!! Has your LO had any vaccinations lately? There was a definite connection between jabs and my DS' strike.
    Claire, Mum to Archie, 5 and Jack, almost 3! Number 3 on the way!