Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 7 month old not eating solids or sleeping

Unhappy 7 month old not eating solids or sleeping

My baby ate 2-3 full bowls of vegetables, fruit and cereal when he was 6 months, he slept through the night and breastfed fine. Now he is almost 8 months old. He got thrush and stopped eating solids. His thrush is gone now. My milk supply went low because he was eating so much solids. I pumped recently and I only got 2 oz. out of each breast. Now he refuses to eat solids and breastfeeds all the time. He breastfeeds/comforts all night long. I'm not getting sleeping and fighting to feed him solids during the day. He sometimes eats apples/blueberries from the jar and pears. He was 7 lbs. 6 oz and 19 inches long when he was born and now he is under 15 lbs. and 27 inches long. I think he isn't sleeping cause he's hungry but he won't eat. Also he cries if I don't hold him. He's crying constantly and I'm not getting sleep. Help!

Default Re: 7 month old not eating solids or sleeping

Frequent feeding like he's doing is the best way to get your milk supply back up! Your baby is smart and knows exactly how to get the nutirition he needs. Just relax and try to keep yourself hydrated. Your milk supply should be back to normal in a few days.

By the way, not only is pumping absolutely no indicator of supply, but 2 oz is considered a totally normal and average amount when pumping.

How are his wet diapers?

Pressureing him to eat solids will only make him more adamant to refuse them. Keep offering, but in a relaxed and gentle manner with no pressure. Remember that breastmilk is a complete food for the first 12 mo that has all the nutrients baby needs in just the right amounts and in a form that is so much easier for baby to absorb and digest. Solids are more for fun and learning.

He breastfeeds/comforts all night long. I'm not getting sleeping

have you tried side-lying feeding? luke used to comford feed all night and i just mastered the side-lying position and slept while he ate. hth!

Jennifer

I also love the side lying position. When dd was on a nursing strike I would just let her eat all night because that was the only time she would eat. Dh would leave for work at 5:30 am and later he'd tell me that dd was nursing great when he left but I was sleeping and never noticed!

Our son didn't really take to solids until...well, never He has just never been a big eater. I didn't know at the time that solids were just for practice until a year or so. Although he did need a little extra iron.

It is also possible that your son is sick of baby food and might like to try a little table food with you guys while you eat. Maybe 7 months is a little young but you could chop it up pretty good or give him something mushy like bananas or sweet potatoes, or Cheerios which will dissolve.

I just reread my post and remembered that my son did eat the purees fairly well in the beginning, then completely refused baby food at about 9-10 months. It is hard to remember everything! But I think a lot of babies get tired of baby food.

Smile Re: 7 month old not eating solids or sleeping

Yeah I side breast feed him all night long. He was better last night. I figured out that I need to make a schedule and routine for him. After my research I found out not to push solids. He only eat blueberries in a jar and crackers. So I feed him that for now.