Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Scooting off my lap while burping?

Default Scooting off my lap while burping?

I burp LO when we switch sides and she has been trying to scoot off my lap lately. I read in the AAP babycare book that this means she is ready to take milk from a cup and is losing interest in bfing. Does this make sense to anyone? She is only 8 mths!

I was wondering if that means she is done eating but if I continue to burp her and put her on the other side, she eats. Am I forcing her to take the other side? She has always taken both.
    Mom to Abigail, born May 3rd, 2007 (self-weaned at 27 mths) and Charlotte, born Nov. 24th, 2009. Both reflux babies and EBF. Charlotte weighs 31 lbs at 26 mths.

Default Re: Scooting off my lap while burping?

Quote Originally Posted by abaker89 View Post
    I burp LO when we switch sides and she has been trying to scoot off my lap lately. I read in the AAP babycare book that this means she is ready to take milk from a cup and is losing interest in bfing. Does this make sense to anyone?
    That has to be THE most bizzare thing I've ever heard. My dd is 5 months and tries to jump off my lap, has been for a couple of months now. What book is this? Title/author?
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

I've never heard of this. My son squirms and wiggles and jumps around, but he is definitely not losing interest in nursing. If you have a link, I'd love to read that (even if it's so I can write a letter to the author! ).

Sounds like just a normal 8 mo who would rather explore than sit on your lap. Perfectly normal, and it's also perfectly normal for her to continue to breastfeed. If she didn't want to take the other side, trust me, she wouldn't! She would turn away, bite you, push against you, etc. You might want to find a better book to find bfing answers in, too. That doesn't sounds like a bfing friendly publication.

One thing I've found out, is that you can't force a baby to nurse. If they don't want to they won't!
    Mom of 1, AJ born 4/12/07

Thanks guys, just checking, I thought that seemed off base. The book is "Caring for your baby and young child" by Shelov and its published by the AAP so I thought it would be good. I have read so many books but what are the best for bfing??

Here's the link:

http://www.amazon.com/Caring-Your-Ba.../dp/0553379623

Not that I would recommend buying it now
    Mom to Abigail, born May 3rd, 2007 (self-weaned at 27 mths) and Charlotte, born Nov. 24th, 2009. Both reflux babies and EBF. Charlotte weighs 31 lbs at 26 mths.

If shes trying to get away, she's probably not interested in nursing right at that moment, but it doesn't mean she is losing interest in nursing in general. With DS his nursing habits definitely changed around 8-10 months but he was just as devoted to it as ever!
    Katie
    Just one more fanatical cloth diaper convert...
    Mom to Morgan (01/10/04) and Zachary (07/12/06)
    What are M & Z up to now?

Quote Originally Posted by FluffyN View Post
    If shes trying to get away, she's probably not interested in nursing right at that moment, but it doesn't mean she is losing interest in nursing in general. With DS his nursing habits definitely changed around 8-10 months but he was just as devoted to it as ever!
    Not necessarily....that's when Norah wiggles the most, when she's READY to nurse. I set her on my lap to "prepare her meal" (unleash the boob) and she's like a little hot potato trying to jump off, then she latches on like she hasn't eaten in a week. Just another personal experience.
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

They sure do get wiggly and I love that heh-heh-heh, excited noise that my LO makes right as she is about to latch on, LOL!