Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Trouble at night

Default Trouble at night

Hi, my daughter is 4 months old and Breastfeeding as been a challenge from the beginning. First, she was a NICU baby, so the first thing that she got was a pumped breast milk bottle for about 6 days until she finally got to nurse from me.
    She seemed like she was going to be a really good nurser, but she always seemed like she never really sucked hard enough. I have gone back and forth between the bottle and the breast so much that I think I might be confusing her, and I just want to breastfeed her, but she seems to just want the bottle. She is going through the whole 4 month fussiness stage right now, so at night it is extremely hard to feed her, right before bed mostly. I can't even seem to feed her at all, almost like she is impatient for the let-down, and she gets so frustrated that she won't take it at all. AKA- Resorting to a bottle. I don't want to give her a bottle, even if it is breast milk, because I want her to nurse from me, and not a bottle at all. What do I do?

Default Re: Trouble at night

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    First time mommy of Robert Nicolas, now 9 whole months(), and loving it!

First step is to contact a LC or your LLL leader. See what they have to say.

~*Allee*~

Damon 8/5/99 Heaven 7/24/01 Jasmine 7/20/07

lots of skin to skin contact helps coax some babies back to the breast.

My LC told me to apply warm compress to my breat and massage them to help stimulate let-down. I always get in the shower and massage then feed. It works good for my LO.

Around that age, DH would wear DS in the evening in a wrap when he was fussy. He wasn't much older than that when DH started putting him to sleep by rocking/reading, then he would hand me the sleeping baby to nurse. Something like that might at least work for that feeding.

I agreed with PP lots of skin contact, get in touch with your LLL... what works for me when my lo doesnt want the breast is too stimulate let-down by walking with her topless and get her interested while I am leaking

I was just about to post something similar when I read this. My 5 month DD does the same thing at night - she really screams until she gets a let down and then continues to pull and off crying until she tuckers herself out. Needless to say, nighttime is VERY stressful, so I can sympathize. My DH read my mind and offered to give her a bottle at night and I will pump. I really don't want to do this either, but nighttime at our house shouldn't be this upsetting for everyone involved!