Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Not enough wet dipes for 4 month old?

Default Not enough wet dipes for 4 month old?

My DD is a week shy of 4 months old, almost 17 weeks old. She's always been a very vigorous nurser, never have had any problems whatsoever since the moment she was born. Last doc visit, she was in the 95th percentile for both weight and height. She nurses every 2-3 hours, sometimes a little longer if it's during the night. She's a nursing champ, as my LLL leaders call her!

Anyway, I switched to using cloth diapers about a month ago. Have had no problems. However, I decided to take a count today of how many diapers she went through during a 24 hour period (not the old-fashioned prefolds with a cover but the newer "pocket" style with inserts for absorption). I put the first one on this morning around 9-ish, when she woke up. I just put the last one on her before bedtime, and I don't change her during the night - never had to! I counted only 5 diapers she went through. I'm told that cloth diapers need to be changed more frequently than disposables. I've never really counted before, because I always knew she was eating enough by her weight gain, and ped said not to worry about counting, as she was such a healthy baby. When I change her, the diapers never feel soaked or anything, just "normal" wet, in my opinion. She has never had a rash ever, and she doesn't usually cry at all when she's wet. I just always change her when I think the time is right.

I'm worried now because I've been reading where other mamas are changing their LOs more frequently. If I changed my LO as often as I've read other mamas change their LOs, I'd have a few diapers that are either barely wet when thrown in the wash, or not wet at all.

Wife to the wonderful Joe Tran
    Stay-At-Home-Mom since 12/07
    First born son Noah, born 3/23/97, 8 lbs 1 oz, 20 1/4"
    New baby girl, born 9/13/07, 8 lbs 7 oz, 20"

Blissfully breastfeeding, babywearing, co-sleeping, and cloth-diapering mama.
    "As newborn babes, desire the pure milk of the Word, that you may grow thereby" (1 Peter 2:2)

Default Re: Not enough wet dipes for 4 month old?

Here is a guide to wetness, amount in tablespoons ect :http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/enoughmilk-older.html Go ahead and bookmark the site. Sounds like everything is good to me.

Thank you so much for that! I almost went to that website, but decided to go with LLL first! Yes, I think it looks like DD is okay. I should have known to trust my instincts.

Wife to the wonderful Joe Tran
    Stay-At-Home-Mom since 12/07
    First born son Noah, born 3/23/97, 8 lbs 1 oz, 20 1/4"
    New baby girl, born 9/13/07, 8 lbs 7 oz, 20"

Blissfully breastfeeding, babywearing, co-sleeping, and cloth-diapering mama.
    "As newborn babes, desire the pure milk of the Word, that you may grow thereby" (1 Peter 2:2)

Well, we welcome your questions here.