Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Breast Pads & Sore Nipples

Unhappy Breast Pads & Sore Nipples

I have been breastfeeding my newborn twins for a week now. I know the first 2 weeks can be realy tough with sore nipples, but this time around it's a little different. I have been using PureLan and disposable breast pads in betwen feedings to relieve some of the pain and help my nipples heal. The pain is only during latch, the rest of the feeding is pain free. I am worried that the breast pads and purelan are actually keeping my nipples moist and raw, that the pain is really from how raw my nipples are. Any advise would help!!

Also, are washable breastpads more 'breathable' than disposables?

Default Re: Breast Pads & Sore Nipples

i personally think that you should keep the lanolin on the nipples. i used it religiously for about 6 mos. and...i didnt leak but used the disposable pads b/c i didnt want the lanolin on my bras and shirts.
    it is common to feel a little bit of a pinch when they first latch on. as long as the pain doesnt last more than 30 sec or so you should be good to go.
    i also recommend that you put some ebm on your nipples and let them sort of "air out" for a few minutes every day. can you sit in a chair near a window where some sunlight can get to them... all of your modesty is out the window at this point!!!
    i am very very very impressed that you are nursing twins.
    it was hard enough with one baby. i am sure you are doing a great job!

Congratulations on your twins! I remember it was so different to nurse two after having one! Mine were preemies, but healthy. They were on the smallish side, and their little mouths actually caused part of the trouble. As they got bigger, the pain went away. For me, double (okay, way more than double!) the milk meant tons of leaking. I used both disposable and washable pads. I think the key would be to change them FREQUENTLY. Immediately following a feeding, express some milk onto your nipples and let it air dry. If you can stay braless for awhile, just wear a cotton, loose fitting top. Then, when you need to have a bra on, put the lanolin on and use a fresh, clean pad. As I said, I did use both, but gave up on the disposable because I felt like I was single-handedly filling every landfill on earth with nursing pads and disposable diapers! The lansinoh brand of washables are very thin and absorbant, and big enough that you don't get "nursing pad ring"
    Good luck! It gets better!
    Mommie to big sister Eszter, and twinnies Sophia and Josiah

Yes, keep using the lanolin. At the hospital, the nurse gave me these gel pads. They felt cool which was soothing. I think Gerber sells something similar. Let me check....

http://www.target.com/Gerber-Warm-Co...e=1&rh=&page=1
    Hi! I'm Shelley!
    Feeling like a and lovin' it!
    Cloth Diapering Convert

Married DH 8/5/2000
    DS 2/25/03 Always making me laugh!
    DD 1/23/07 Loves to Breastfed 15 months with no end in sight!

oops, I think these are what I used. Gerber does make something similar.

http://www.walgreens.com/store/produ...&id=prod380209
    Hi! I'm Shelley!
    Feeling like a and lovin' it!
    Cloth Diapering Convert

Married DH 8/5/2000
    DS 2/25/03 Always making me laugh!
    DD 1/23/07 Loves to Breastfed 15 months with no end in sight!

Thanks everyone! I was worried I was doing more damage than good. It is so painful to get through those first few suckles, but I am determined to breastfeed them for at least the first year.

I am also going to try the Gel Soothies. Just the sound of them gives me
    relief!

Thanks again

Ok Women who breastfeed multiples and survive are my HEROS! When I had really sore nipples with my singleton, my LC gave me some sore nipple shields that are about the craziest looking things you've ever seen but they were a life saver. It doesn't sound like your nipples are that painful in between feedings, but they are designed to not let anything touch your nipples and they have a little foam in the bottom to catch leaks. So if you are interested in letting your nipples 'air' out a little check those out- they are like clear plastic domes with rubber on the other side with a hole cut out for your nipples. Loved 'em! good luck

For me, Lansinoh & Medela breast shields work wonders. Keeps anything from touching the nipples.

I used (as weird as this sounds) lanolin and cold, raw cabbage leaves. My midwife suggested it for my cracked nipples. I think it helps to keep the milk (which has antibacterial properties) next to the nipples and they're less likely to dry out. The cabbage leaves also help with engorgement. I would wash several leaves and put them in the fridge and use them between feedings. Don't use them after your nipples have healed though because apparently over time they can diminish your milk supply. Good luck and congrats on the twins!!

I think you got some great advice here already so I just wanted to add my congrats for breastfeeding twins!
    ~Proud AP Mama To Natalie Ann *7/9/06* & Isabella Faith *7/6/09*~