Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Sleeping through the night now!

Talking Sleeping through the night now!

We have finally figured something out on our own about our 11 wk old DS! He has been sleeping in a bassinet in our room since birth. I was getting discouraged b/c he was not sleeping "through the night" the way all of my friends' babies had at a much earlier age (7-9 wks).

A couple of nights ago I was extremely tired and decided not to pounce on him as soon as I heard the familiar grunts and kicking upon his waking. I thought that I would give it a few minutes and get up if he started fussing or crying. What do you know.....I woke up 3 hrs later to find he had put himself back to sleep!

All this time I thought he was waking up to be fed or changed and it turns out I was probably disturbing him! Thought this info might help those of you who have grunty, squirmy, loud sleepers.

Jennifer
    Amazed and Proud mom of Luke (Lucas) - 4/5/2006; 9 lbs 12 oz , 22in
    Wife to best friend Carl - 11/4/2001

Default Re: Sleeping through the night now!

Not to rain on your parade....but don't get used to it. I'm sure there are exceptions, but most BFing moms I know say their babies don't sleep through the night until they're weaned. But they do (mine included) go through a phase around 2-3 months where they will sleep through quite a bit. My DD is ten months and still gets up 3-4 times a night to nurse. She was recently on a 10-day nursing strike and what do you know she slept through the night during that time!! LOL So I know she doesn't do it because she's hungry, she just likes to nurse

[QUOTE=tookie406]Not to rain on your parade....but don't get used to it.

Ha ha.. I know that now firsthand too! Last week Luke slept thru the night 4 nights in a row...well no he is back to his old self, down at 11, up at 2 and 5! Oh well it was a nice break while it lasted

I'll try not to keep my hopes up too high....but....several of my friends who EBF their babies had them sleeping through the night early. This forum was the first I'd ever heard of BF babies not sleeping through the night (in general).

Jennifer
    Amazed and Proud mom of Luke (Lucas) - 4/5/2006; 9 lbs 12 oz , 22in
    Wife to best friend Carl - 11/4/2001

luke's mom, my son did not sleep thru until he weaned at age 2. But our daughter has slept thru from the beginning (about 4 hrs at birth, then gradually up to 8 hrs at 6 wks). We co-sleep most of the time but if I put her in the bassinette or if we're traveling and I put her in a crib, she'll sleep thru. She has done this since about 6 wks and is now 6 months. My best friend bf both her kids and both slept thru starting at about 8 wks. So it's possible!

My best friend's daughter slept thru the night consistently by 6 weeks and was exclusively breast fed. I apparently slept through the night by one month of age and was exclusively breast fed also. So don't give up! Of course, I am more in the rain on your parade group with my 3 month old waking up at least twice in the night and never sleeping past 0530. But every baby is different.

Quote Originally Posted by tookie406
    Not to rain on your parade....but don't get used to it. I'm sure there are exceptions, but most BFing moms I know say their babies don't sleep through the night until they're weaned. But they do (mine included) go through a phase around 2-3 months where they will sleep through quite a bit. My DD is ten months and still gets up 3-4 times a night to nurse. She was recently on a 10-day nursing strike and what do you know she slept through the night during that time!! LOL So I know she doesn't do it because she's hungry, she just likes to nurse
    YUP

Mine slept throught he night from about 3 months old to 6 months old - and now we're up anywhere from twice to five times a night - ENJOY while it lasts!

Actually, that grunty, loud sleeping may actually mean s/he's peeing or needs to pee. Those of us who practice elimination communication (www.diaperfreebaby.org), use that as a signal that baby needs to be peed. So he probably peed then went back to sleep - I love EC because I better understand what stuff like that means baby is trying to tell me!

My daughter began sleeping through the night about a week ago. She's about 10 weeks old now. She usually sleeps from about 10:00 or 11:00 pm until roughly 8:00 am. It's wonderful!! Last night she ate at 6:30 pm and was awake until about 9:30 pm when she went to sleep and I put her in her crib. I thought for sure she'd wake up in the middle of the night to eat, but sure enough...8:00 am rolled around and she finally woke up. I keep waiting for her to go back to her old sleep schedule, but it hasn't happened, yet.

I was reading in one of my books that their bowel movements should decrease in the second or third month because they're actually digesting more food, so there's less waste. That happened around the same time that she began sleeping through the night, so I wonder if the two are related. Maybe because she's digesting more of the food she's able to sleep longer without needing to eat.

my dd1 slept thru the nite consistently at 7 weeks. my dd2 is now 7 mos and is "miss inconsistent". while she'll occasionaly sleep thru the nite, she typically wakes once, sometimes twice. she'd be waking far more often if we still co-slept. we both need our space.