Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Spoon strike?!?!

Default Spoon strike?!?!

We are suddenly experiencing a "spoon strike" (I guess that's what I like to call it ). My LO doesn't want anything off of the spoon. She wants to finger feed herself. She won't take bananas off the spoon, but will pick them off of her tray and feed herself. She'll eat Cheerios and fruit puffs. But if you come near her with the spoon she freaks out...waving her arms and turning her head away. I don't want to force her so we don't push the issue, but I'm a little concerned. She's been eating solids since 5.5 months with no problems. She has been feeling a little under the weather (coughing and stuffy sounding) for the past few days. I don't know if she's teething since she will eat and crunch zwieback toast. She will take her bottles, but less than usual (4 ozs instead of 5-6 ozs).

Has anyone experienced this? Any suggestions?
    Last edited by AnaGracesMama; January 6th, 2008 at 09:09 PM.

Default Re: Spoon strike?!?!

My DS was on a "spoon strike" from the very first day that we started solids We did baby led solids .... and even if we hadn't decided to go that route, there was no way my DS was going to let me spoon feed him.

She's probably having fun with new skills and some independence.

My suggestion - start offering her safe finger foods, and also have the spoon available in case she decides she wants you to feed her (or to try to use the spoon herself).

The guidelines for baby led solids are to cut foods in french-fry shapes, or pieces larger than LO fist. That way they have a "handle" to pick up the food. Or you can offer foods that are naturally quite soft: avocado, banana, sweet potato, butternut squash, slices of pear or other soft fruits.

For food that needed to be cooked - I'd usually steam them until pretty soft. My test was if I could eat the food by using just my tounge & the roof of my mouth and not using my teeth.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

This is very common around the one year mark. Read "My Child Won't Eat!" I also agree with PP about BLS. Good luck!

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.

It is very common, my son started this at around 9 months. He wanted to do it himself. I joked with my Pedi about it and she said don't even bother fighting it, part of it is personality and part of it is them wanting to learn to feed themselves. Finger foods are great and letting try to feed themselves is good too, just got to have some patience with the mess and the willingess to not get involved no matter how hard you want to. At this age, it's more about exploring foods rather than filling a quota of things they need to eat.

HTH

Thanks all! I spoke with my mom, who is watching her as I get over a nasty stomach bug and she said that she did take to the spoon today eating yogurt and cereal. Maybe she was avoiding anything that would bother her tummy as she's getting over something as well . Maybe we will have to try BLS now to give her that independence. She's quite a treat to watch when she feeds herself cheerios!

Should I steam pears and harder fruits or should I wait until they are really ripe to cut into french-fry shapes? How about chicken?

Pears are soft enough without cooking, IMO. I boil chicken to make stock/broth and let LO take a chunk with her in the stroller (to "feed the kitties" ) and she chews on it.

I bet you are right about the stomach bug. They can throw off the balance of gut flora and cause things to taste different/bad. The yogurt will help her reestablish a good balance. Good luck!

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.