Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 8 wk old still won't latch properly

Default 8 wk old still won't latch properly

My daughter just turned 2 months old and she has never had a proper latch. She has a very shallow latch and only sucks the tip of my nipple. She was really tiny when born and I thought the problem would correct itself as she got older and her mouth got bigger, but it hasn't. When I try to put more of my nipple into her mouth she gags, sometimes hard enough that she vomits (and vomits a whole lot - it can be scary). I've pumped milk and put it into a bottle, hoping if I introduce a little of the nipple at a time she will suck it, but she HATES the bottle and screams and screams. If I can manage to put it into her mouth, she gags and vomits. I've even tried premie nipples and she gags on those. She screams when I try to give her a pacifier too.

What can I do? Just live with sore nipples until she will learn to take a bottle? I had wanted to EBF for at least 6 months. Luckily I make lots of milk, so with the milk that just squirts into her mouth she has gained great weight. She doesn't really have to suck, so she's lazy. She was 11 lbs 1 oz at her 2 month appointment, and she's only 20.75 inches long (she was 5lbs 13oz, 18.5 in when born). She eats every 1.5 to 2 hours, even through the night. I'm convinced she eats so often because she doesn't get really full.

The pediatrician suggested I give her some rice cereal at night mixed with breastmilk, in hopes that my LO would be fuller and sleep longer. I'm afraid she's too young to be eating this. I don't know what to do, but I would love to sleep longer than 2 hours!

Default Re: 8 wk old still won't latch properly

Ouch, I had sore nipples, but not for 8 weeks!! Have you visited a LC for help w/ the latch? Did your pedi have any ideas on why she gags on the nipple?

8 weeks is too young for cereal and I'm sure many others on here would agree. Cereal in a bottle poses a choking risk. There are some who use cereal in a bottle for reflux, but that is a different issue. I would personally not risk it for more sleep.

DS is 6 months old and rarely goes more than 3 hours @ night. Most of the time its every 1-2 hours. It's not always fun but I have learned to live w/ it.

Just thought of this - Maybe try waiting until the flow has slowed down and she's been nursing awhile to introduce more of your nipple in her mouth?
    Hope it gets better!

Jenn
    Mom to - DD1 10/5/05, DS 6/27/07 & DD2 6/18/09

My son was born Oct 28th and he often eats every 2 hours at night. We learned how to BF laying down and it is awesome! I HIGHLY recommend it. I don't know how I would function through the day without the rest I can get while laying down at least! Maybe you should try that.

I wish I could help you with the latch problem...but I am sure that some wonderful moms on here can answer your questions with that. I would definitely reccomend a LC or LLL Leader.

Have you consulted an Ocupational Therapist about the vomit? It could be that she has an aversion to things in her mouth. I only say this because my son does...maybe she has the same problem. He doesn't vomit though...and that can be VERY scary I'm sure.

I would never give cereal to a 2 month old...too young.
    Becca SAHM to
    Veronica 10/31/05

and Preston 10/28/07

<--- me!
    (I love this smiley!)

I finally got on Facebook! If anyone wants to be my
    friend.

I've got the same exact issue and my son is the same age too. Fortunately he gets enough of the areola to get plenty of milk, but it still hurts. What I do is sandwich the nipple and shove as much as I can in. Sometimes it works on the first try, but most of the time I have to relatch a few times. I hope you get things figured out. Painful breastfeeding is no fun.
    Homebirthing, breastfeeding, cloth diapering Mama to Jason (11/6/07).

Baby #2 due in January 2009.

I feel your pain (literally!) I'm still working w/our 4-week old to get her to take more breast tissue in her mouth. It's frustrating having to re-latch over and over again every time.

My daughter was tiny, too, and started out with a shallow latch, and it did get better as she got older. You might just have to wait a few weeks. If she latches shallow now, what I do is gently pull her chin down after she latches, which works pretty well.