Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: blood in her stools!

Exclamation blood in her stools!

Blood in my baby's stools, now, for 4 weeks! I would give anything to have some advice from anyone who's "Been There". It started at 4 wks. old, and now she is 8 wks. old. It's not alot, but it's accompanied with green, mucousy stools, too. She has had stool samples done, and everything came back negative accept for c diff., but they don't think it's related. Of course, some of the doc.'s have recommeded changing to formula, but not with any promises, and it feels like if I do that.... it would be the end of the world. I adore breastfeeding, she is my fourth, and my last, so it means so much to me because I know I will never do it again after this.

Default Re: blood in her stools!

you came to the right place there are a bunch of realy help full mommies that are dealing with the same issue.
    your realy not alone!
    There a realy good post to start with that might be a sticky. I'll bump it up twards the top for you
    andrea

Thankyou SO much! Could anyone name brands of enzymes and probiotics for infants?

you can find them in health foods stores and the like - good luck lots of us have dealt with the bloody stools
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Arrow Re: blood in her stools!

My youngest EBF DD had bloody pooh as a young baby, before the age of 6 mths. I asked my Health Visitor about it, she was useless! She just assumed that my DD was on 'solids' and that the bowel is just 'getting used to hard stools'. Even, though I've told her my DD is still being EBF not on solids yet!

So, I contacted my doctor, he said it's just the immature tiny blood vessels bursting in the bowel when DD does an explosive type pooh. As long as my DD is gaining, healthy and alert and the pooh is normal there's nothing to worry about.

Maybe your LO is like mine, except with a bit of a tummy ache too.

Don't be asked to change to formula that's just plain silly! My doctor wouldn't even do this and I hope my experience helps you
    Last edited by Milkmaid; December 31st, 2007 at 04:23 PM.

There's good info on blood in stool on theKelly Mom website.
    HTH

check out the allergy and breastfeeding forum here. sounds like you might get some really good advise there. my ds had bloody green mucousy stools for a long time due to food allergies

Wink Re: blood in her stools!

Of course there might be a problem with blood vessels if your child is constipated, but according to the infant allergist my sister-in-law waited 5 months to see, blood in stools is almost always due to allergy, and that is most often a milk/soy allergy. I went through this with my little girl, who at 3, is still allergic to milk. Check out the allergy forum for lots of advice, but for starters, if you want to try it, take milk and soy products out of your diet, to the point that you are reading labels and looking for anything that is milk related, or whey, casein, or sodium caseinate, which are all names for milk protein. Don't cheat. For kids with milk protein allergy, the 49th ingredient is as bad as the first. Keep it up for at least 3 weeks, as it takes that long to clear from your system. Alternately, you could try feeding your child Nutramigen hypoallergenic formula for a few days and see if their tummy improves. Another thing you can try is a skin test with milk, but not all kids who can't drink milk have a topical reaction to it. The other most common allergy is to eggs. Try taking those out for a few days. Good luck!

For the info there was no way my EBF DD was constipated. She was having normal golden BF liquid pooh, but sometimes it was streaked with blood. It was just that she 'pushed' out too hard (her face went red), and this burst-ed some of the tiny vessels in the back passage. My doctor said this is quite normal for some babies.

Breast milk is still the best thing for babies, especially if they are prone to allergies. There's no need to 'switch' to formula, I think this will end up causing more problems than it can solved. The baby mentioned on this Thread is still only 8 weeks old!

Thinking about it, newborn baby pooh go from black to brown and to sometimes a mixture of green cause of the golden/yellow BF pooh that 'coming in'. Perhaps it's this, and maybe your LO needs a bit more hind milk? It's probably just a little tummy bug. Give it time before making any rational decisions. I have never heard of a baby being allergic to it's own mother BM! If she's gaining, then fine don't worry about it too much. Make sure you have a excellent doctor, the last thing you need is an uneducated breast-milk/baby doctor!
    Last edited by Milkmaid; January 4th, 2008 at 08:06 AM.