Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Saving Money & Time?

Default Saving Money & Time?

Here are my questions, Please Help.

1. Can I buy my own glass or plastic milk storage containers or is it better to use the ones specially made for storing breast milk. Or does anyone know of any reusable storage containers?

2. If I store breast milk in 4 oz in the freezer and after defrosting I immediately divide the milk into 2 oz without the baby eating from the milk, (give 2 oz to the baby and store the other 2 oz in the fridge) would this be ok? If so, how soon would I have to use the stored 2 oz?

Default Re: Saving Money & Time?

Hi There!
    Freezing things in glass is always a little less safe - just for the breakage factor. As for reusable containers, you might be able to freeze in plastic bottles made for feeding breastmilk, but I've never tried that. The main upside of the bags made specifically for storing breastmilk is that they are designed to leech as little of the plastic from the bag into the milk as possible. Some plastics do 'come off' a bit into foods/liquids and of course it's desirable to avoid that as much as possible with breast milk.
    As for thawing and using, as long as you use what you have thawed within 24 hours of when you thawed the milk, you are fine. And yes; as you said; divide and only offer what you are going to use in on session. If baby doesn't finish it but did start in on it, the enzymes in baby's saliva will start to break down the milk, so it's advised to toss the rest. (though...most moms I know save it for 2 or so hours in the 'fridge and see if they can use it w/in that time period.)
    Hope that helps! If it's unclear, just ask!
    jsmom

Default Re: Saving Money & Time?

I do understand what you are saying, Thank you for your quick response