Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: strong let-down but not enough milk...possible?

Default strong let-down but not enough milk...possible?

I was just wondering if it is possible to have an OALD, but still not have enough for baby. A while ago my dd was wiggling a lot during feedings and pulling on nipple. I called a lactation consultant and she said the tugging at nipple was sign she wasn't getting enough. So I started taking fenugreek seed pills and drinking a lot more water and feedings went WAY better. Now she seems to be popping on and off, which thanks to this sight, I've found is pretty normal for her age (3mo). But sometimes she still moves a lot and seems frustrated about something. Sometimes she'll pull away and start crying. So, of course I wonder if my supply is going down again, but I KNOW I have a strong let-down as she gulps a lot when I let down and sometimes chokes on one side. Sorry this is so long but my basic question is should I start on fenugreek again just in case? I kind of feel like better to produce too much milk than not enough!! Also I found some good techniques for strong let-down on another thread, so I'll try some of those. Thanks!!!

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

Default Re: strong let-down but not enough milk...possible?

Possible but doubtful. Gulping says to me that there is enough. Since it is impossible to see how much they are actually getting I might suggest counting diapers! How many solid wets are you seeing in a 24 hour period? More than 5? Then all is well.

Curious about this too...I have a strong letdown but after about 5 min of serious gulping, my Lo gets very frustrated, pulls of and on, cries, etc. I keep up with this charade for a few min but then I take her off.

I have tried block feeding for a few days now but honestly, my unused breast hurts so bad sometimes that I "cheat". I guess I really should pump off that side after doing some reading.

I have also thought of taking fenugreek to see if it helps...does anyone know of any side effects of fenugreek? I have Crohn's and I don't want to complicate it.

Quote Originally Posted by JeannieBean View Post
    I was just wondering if it is possible to have an OALD, but still not have enough for baby. A while ago my dd was wiggling a lot during feedings and pulling on nipple. I called a lactation consultant and she said the tugging at nipple was sign she wasn't getting enough.
    Hi ,

As carpentergirl said, it's not very likely. Tugging at the nipple is also a sign of having too much milk, which is the more likely scenario in your case.

Now, it is possible that your baby is not getting enough hindmilk, the creamy, fattier milk that comes at the end of the feeding. Baby may be filling up on foremilk and not have any room in her tummy by the time the hindmilk comes. This can cause fussiness at the breast, and gassy/colicky behavior. Limiting baby to one breast per feeding, and offering the same breast if baby wants to nurse again shortly after a feeding, can help increase the amount of hindmilk your baby gets. Short, frequent feedings are usually best for mothers experiencing OALD.

Quote Originally Posted by spacytracy
    Curious about this too...I have a strong letdown but after about 5 min of serious gulping, my Lo gets very frustrated, pulls of and on, cries, etc. I keep up with this charade for a few min but then I take her off.

I have tried block feeding for a few days now but honestly, my unused breast hurts so bad sometimes that I "cheat". I guess I really should pump off that side after doing some reading.

I have also thought of taking fenugreek to see if it helps...does anyone know of any side effects of fenugreek? I have Crohn's and I don't want to complicate it.
    This too, sounds like an oversupply of milk. Babies who are trying to cope with OALD and oversupply often seem to have a "love-hate" relationship with the breast.

When block feeding, it is important to pay attention to how the breast you are not using feels. If your breast starts to feel uncomfortably full, you can hand express, just a little, until you are comfortable. Pumping to empty the other breast is not recommended, because this tells your body to produce more milk--exactly the opposite of what you are going for. If hand expression doesn't work for you, or you prefer to pump, pump just a little. Keeping the breast "full" is what signals to your body that it doesn't need to produce so much.

Fenugreek is used to increase milk supply, which doesn't sound like something that you need at this point. Always talk to your health care provider before using any herbal remedies. You need to know if what you are taking is indicated for someone with your medical condition, and/or if it would interact with any medications you are already taking.

HTH. Hang in there, mamas!

Tiana