Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: diherrea and bfing

Default diherrea and bfing

Hello everyone,

My son, 4.5mo, and I just got over a bout of food poisoning the day before yesterday. My son got sicker than I did and I believe still has diherrea. His poopy looks yellow -not mustard colored like usual- and seems to be only liquid. We got sick on the night of the 3rd, were in the hospital by the 4th and since we got there I've been giving him pedilyte. I started bfing today morning and have been doing so all day. I tried to start again yesterday night but he got a tummy ache... So...now that he continues to have diherrea I'm wondering if I should offer more pedialyte? I notice that his soft spot is just barely sunken in and know this is a sign of dehydration...will my milk be enough?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    First time mommy of Robert Nicolas, now 9 whole months(), and loving it!

Default Re: diherrea and bfing

From my experience --

For a baby with diarrhea, breastmilk is best. Pedialyte/gatorade/sodas proliferate diarrhea (make it worse, make it go on longer). (For babies that are vomiting and can't keep anything down, pedialyte might help rehydrate.)

Your baby's poo might be "off" in smell and color for up to a week after he's better. This is normal. (Also keep in mind that the dyes in pedialyte could also change the color of his poo.) This smell/runniness is because the normal bacterial flora has been washed out by the diarrhea. For older babies, yogurt could help re-build that flora. Your baby's too young, of course, for yogurt.

People (including nurses and doctors!!) will try to convince you that a baby with GI illness should be off dairy, and that breastmilk is dairy. FALSE! The most gentle, perfect food for any baby is his mommy's milk, especially for a sick baby. Cow's milk, sure, is hard on the digest system. Avoid that.

My babies' soft spots are sometimes slightly lower than the bone part of their head, but they're not dehydrated. Look for other signs, like a dry mouth, no wet diapers, no tears. But if your little one is having fewer than 4 or so diarrhea diapers a day and no longer vomiting, he won't be dehydrated.

One of my twins had a bad bout with diarrhea and went way down in weight, almost a pound under her identical twin!! I used the tips from kellymom to help get her weight back up, after she was well: http://kellymom.com/babyconcerns/gro..._increase.html

Hope that helps!

Thank you so much for that link. I didn't mention it but he did loose some weight, I haven't checked yet how much but I can definetly tell when I'm carrying him.Very sad about this.

I thought about skipping pedialyte and bfing him but like I said when I tried he had a tummy ache an hour later..so we figured it was still in my system.

Breastmilk is best, even when baby has a G.I. illness. Breastmilk is classified as a clear liquid. Remember, too, that breastmilk has all the good stuff (antibodies, probiotics, ect) that help keep baby's digestive system on track.

Hope you both are feeling better soon!

Quote Originally Posted by jaki.my.ny View Post
    I thought about skipping pedialyte and bfing him but like I said when I tried he had a tummy ache an hour later..so we figured it was still in my system.
    Whatever you had (virus, bacteria) would not go through your breastmilk. He might still have a tender tummy, just recovering from all this!

That's what everyone is saying and maybe you're right We thought it was food poisoning since I threw up as well but now my sister and nephew are sick so we're thinking its some sort of bug that we must have picked up while traveling We don't know. Thank goodness we feel better though. Now what I'm concerned about is how to get baby to eat enough?

I'm going back to Denver tomorrow and although I was planning on going back to work on Tuesday I'm thinking of actually taking two days off to focus on nursing him. He's lost some dramatic weight, I still haven't checked on the scale but I can see his neck a lot easier now and that hasn't happened since birth!

What I'm concerned about now is that he seems to only be eating every 4 hours. How can I coax him to eat more? He used to eat every 2 but ever since his 4mo shots that changed. He's also much more distractable now and wont accept the bobbie unless he's hungry. And while I'm at work for only three hours he isn't accepting his normal 3-6oz and only taking about 1oz! I dunno what to do! Any ideas...so sorry this was long but I've been concerned about this for a while....