Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: red splotches on baby's face while nursing

Default red splotches on baby's face while nursing

I've noticed for a while now that my 5 month old will get red splotches on his face, around his temple and in front of his ear. They occur after he's started bfing and then go away shortly after. It's almost like a flushed look, except that they are splotches instead of just a reddened face. I noticed today he had them on his chest also, but this was the first time I've seen the splotches there. It could be that he is usually in clothes while we bf. Thoughts?

Thanks,
    Erin

Default Re: red splotches on baby's face while nursing

MAybe he gets hot and thats how his skin shows it? Is he fair skinned or redhead. My dd is really fair and gets red and splotchy after a bath.

I haven't noticed that when he's hot, but then again it hasn't been hot for a while. I wouldn't describe him as extremely fair though. He has light, olive toned skin, with brown hair and brown eyes. The splotches occur on the side of his face that is up, not on the boppy (so if he's nursing on my right side, it's his right side that gets the redness).

I am stumped, you could ask your nurse. If its not bothering him I wouldn't be worried.

Thanks for thinking on it for me. I haven't really been worried, but the redness on his chest got me a bit. I was wondering if he was having a reaction of sort each time he nurses, or I suppose (and hope) it's just exertion or something like that. He does have slightly mucousy stools, but has for almost the entire time. I had oald and os in the beginning, but I think it's undercontrol for the most part. The only other nursing "issue" we have is that he is a short nurser (I'm assuming from the oald/os early on). He will only nurse for 3-7 minutes each time and sometimes will stop at 3 or 4 minutes crying, but not always. Gaining weight fine (he's a 19 pounder!). Thanks for responding!

Erin

I have a fair baby that gets splotchy from the effort of keeping up with the let down. hth

I have a fair baby too and she gets red around her eyes, sometiems checks, and temples.
    • First time mommy to Alyssa Nicole 7 lbs. 19 3/4 in. born 10/17/07 via c-section.

finally off the since 10/24/08

We made it, 12 months!!!!!!!!

Donated 500 oz. so far, and counting...

2 weeks - 7 lbs 6 oz.
    2 months - 10 lbs.
    4 months - 12 lbs. 3 oz.
    6 months - 14 lbs. 1 oz.
    9 months - 16 lbs. 7 oz.
    12 months - 18 lbs. 10 oz.

Quote Originally Posted by carpentergirl View Post
    I have a fair baby that gets splotchy from the effort of keeping up with the let down. hth
    DS is very fair. He doesn't blotch up when he nurses, but he does really bad if he cries even just a little, all around his temples, eye, ears and onto the top of his chest and back. Maybe it is just an exertion thing. Or maybe its a bit of a rush like she's really enjoying the nursing!!
    Claire, Mum to Archie, 5 and Jack, almost 3! Number 3 on the way!

DS gets splotchy around his eyes as well when he nurses. Just always has, no idea why. He is also a fast nurser, 3=7 minutes . . . no ideas, but same here!

My LO who is also almost 5 months went thru this around Christmas. Almost exactly as you described. She would even wake up with them in the morning for about 5 days. They looked like hives. I took her to two docs and they had no clue. They dissapeard and the she cut her first tooth about a week later???? I still have no clue as to what it was.