Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: What should stools look like after starting solids?

Default What should stools look like after starting solids?

We started our daughter, six months, on solids this past week. We did 3 days of whole grain oatmeal. She loved it, and by the 3rd day was up to a whole tablespoon. I was hesitant to give such a young baby so much but she was crying and reaching for more, and it was immediately after nursing so it has not interfered w/ her milk intake. Also we give it in the evening when my supply seems lower.

On the 4th day we introduced a banana. It was really ripe so we just mashed it up with a fork and put it on her tray. She had a few bites, and again by the 3rd day or so was up to about a tablespoon (estimate).

During these few days, she did not poop. This is not entirely unusual for her, but when she finally did, it was formed and a brownish yellow color. She didn't appear uncomfortable while going.

My mother said bananas are "binding" so we have switched to pears but now after reading about cereal being constipating on here, I am not so sure she should be eating that either. Although we are using whole grain...

Is this considered constipation? I really want her to eat cereal since our son was iron deficient at 9 months and hardly ate anything at all.

Default Re: What should stools look like after starting solids?

My first son never had solid stools until just about 2 years old, so you can understand my shock when like you, about day 3 after starting solids out comes this "turd" and not mush. He did not have any issues passing it, I really just think that the solids have created formed stools, which is perfectly fine. I wouldn't worry about giving bananas and such, or the cereal for fear of constipation. If you wanted to stop the cereal, turkey is a great source of iron.

HTH

Almost any 'solids' food will be at least a little more binding for your baby than getting entirely breastmilk. Breastmilk is something of a natural laxative and milk stools are really the end product of ONLY being fed that milk. It's perfectly normal and natural for you baby's stools to look different as you start adding more and different foods. Baby's body is changing and learning to handle these new things; that does alter the goings-on in the digestive tract. You are wise to keep an eye on baby's comfort level in passing these stools and to keep track of whether they are getting very hard or pellet-like in tiny pieces -- that is more of a sign of impending constipation. Going slow is smart. Not decreasing the breastmilk is also a good idea! Our pediatrician had us add pureed prunes to J's diet when, about 4-5 weeks in to solids, he started getting less stool-productive and less comfortable than he should be. Thankfully, he loved them and still does. Two days of pureed prunes had him back on track when he needed some help....come back and let usk know how it's going and if you need more suggestions. Many of us have been through lots of chapters with this whole thing!
    Jsmom

Doesn't sound like constipation to me. So long as it's not hard, dry, or pellet-like, then it's fine. It sounds like you're doing everything right and taking precautions to keep breastmilk the main source of his nutrition; awesome! I also agree with the pp who stated that turkey or other meat is a great source of iron that is easier to absorb than the iron added to cereal. It's totally your choice, of course.

Can I give meat to a six month old? If so, how do I give her turkey, for example? Do I have to put it in a blender and add water or milk? I was hoping to wait on the meats until 9 months or so. I have one of those Pampered Chef food choppers and I thought I could just put it in there once she has a few teeth and/or is good at gumming. I am pretty lazy when it comes to the kitchen, but I absolutely refuse to give her the jarred meats. Not that I am opposed to jarred food in general but the meat smells disgusting and something about meat that doesn't expire until NEXT YEAR scares me a little

Everything I have read says meat is fine from 6 mo. Not only is it an excellent source of iron, but also of zinc.

My LLL leader suggested offering baby a bone from cooked chicken or turkey that has been cleaned of all bone spurs. Baby can chew and suck on the bone and get some iron that way. Also, she suggested grating cooked chicken or turkey meat on a cheese grater; the pices will be small enough that baby can't choke, but big enough that baby could pick them up for herself.

Beef is more alergenic, so I think I did wait for 9 mo on that with ds. Ds has loved to eat well cooked ground beef crumbles ever since the first time he tired them; they are a fun finger food!