Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Do they ever get less distractable??

Default Do they ever get less distractable??

My lo is 8 mths and it is still impossible to nurse at someone's house with other people in the room. She is slow, probably 40 min for a feeding and I feel like I miss the whole party. Will this ever change or will she ever get faster or is this pretty much how it will be? I want to nurse for a long time but I miss all the conversation especially since I am at home all day, I really look forward to these outings.
    Mom to Abigail, born May 3rd, 2007 (self-weaned at 27 mths) and Charlotte, born Nov. 24th, 2009. Both reflux babies and EBF. Charlotte weighs 31 lbs at 26 mths.

Default Re: Do they ever get less distractable??

I don't really have an answer, but I'm there with ya! My DD is only a few days older than yours, and I always have to take her out of the room to nurse. She's obviously hungry but can't focus on the task at hand if there's anything else going on around her. Fortunately she is a quick eater, so I don't miss out on as much as you do. I have a good friend, though, who has easily nursed her LO at any age without leaving the room. She's told me he gets distractible, but I've never seen it be a problem when I'm around. I'm guessing every baby is probably different with this one. As for me, I do sneak away to feed Haley when needed (especially if we're away from home for longer than a few hours), but now that she's eating solids, I also take along something that I can feed her when the rest of us are eating, if she wants it. This helps tide her over a bit until the next nursing session, and it makes her feel a part of the activity. Would that work for you?
    I love my kids. I care for them accordingly. What more can I say?

LO likes to wiggle and look around now too at 8 1/2 mths, so we have to leave the room. I also take a little solid food for him to munch on at restaurants or when we are with others.

DS was super distractable for several months, wouldn't nurse outside our house for a year starting at about 10 months, and I can say is has vastly improved (and started to around 12-15 months.) Hang in there!

Thanks for the advice, I will try some solids, though she hasn't been progressing that well with them. She only take a few bites, twice a day but I keep at it.

It always seems like we end up at someone's house and the feeding around 4 pm is so long. I guess its not too bad, I just crave the conversation. Being at home can be lonely!
    Mom to Abigail, born May 3rd, 2007 (self-weaned at 27 mths) and Charlotte, born Nov. 24th, 2009. Both reflux babies and EBF. Charlotte weighs 31 lbs at 26 mths.

I am with you, but Jack is a really quick eater, and the more that's going on around him, the worse he is. I do try and nurse him somewhere quiet if possible or he'll be even quicker than usual!! He does like his solids though, so that does help.
    Claire, Mum to Archie, 5 and Jack, almost 3! Number 3 on the way!