Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: No Rice Cereal?

Default No Rice Cereal?

I was considering starting my lo on solids at 6 months.
    (She is 4 months old now)
    I was also considering to go straight to puree' veggies
    and skip rice cereal altogether. But recently I found
    some recipes for homemade rice cereal.
    Any thoughts?

Default Re: No Rice Cereal?

Many mama's skip cereals and puree's all together (after 6 months), so another option there...

Personally, none of my kids have liked rice cereal (well the LO hasn't really had it - DH tried in a moment of desperation when she wouldn't take a bottle and refused milk all together when I was at work. She tasted the rice cereal and spit it out and wouldn't open her mouth for it again). I'm planning on a BLS approach with DD2, so that I don't have to worry about purees and such.

~*Allee*~

Damon 8/5/99 Heaven 7/24/01 Jasmine 7/20/07

I was considering starting my LO on solids at six months. He just turned five months.... so we have something in common...

I always wanted to make my own "babyfood". I've got a couple recipe books for babyfood. The only way I knew how to feed a baby solids was to start with rice cereal and graduate to puree's, and so on.

I have been reading a lot about Baby Led Solids recently. I think I ended up breastfeeding in the first place cause I was way too lazy to make formula, sterilize bottles, etc.. (just kidding - the health benefits were my #1 reason ). Anyhow, after reading about BLS I started thinking how much easier and more natural it seems, just like breastfeeding now... (except it may be more difficult if you/LO are prone to allergies I think)

Sorry I didn't exactly answer your question, but just thought I'd post cause I had the exact same question as you posted tonight... I'll be keeping an eye on your posts for other peoples suggestions... thanks!

Thanks for the feedback
    I dont know what BLS is.
    Any good sites?
    I definitely wanted to make all of my
    LO's food homemade from organic whole
    foods that is why I was definitely skipping
    the processed rice cereal.

Do a search on these forums for "Baby led solids" and "Baby led weaning" oh and "BLS" and "BLW" I'm sure there are other terms too, I just can't think of them right now.

~*Allee*~

Damon 8/5/99 Heaven 7/24/01 Jasmine 7/20/07

Here are a few sites I've read:

http://www.borstvoeding.com/voedseli...uidelines.html -

There's a forum: http://www.babyledweaning.co.uk/forum/index.php

Some REALLY FUNNY pictures here: http://www.babybanana.biz/index.htm

HTH!

Just my 2 cents, I would skip the processed rice cereal. If you want to try rice, you could always cook up some brown rice, cook just past recommended time and blend or mash with some EBM to get a little creamier. This is what I did after realizing how constipated my little guy got with just a couple days of the stuff. The brown rice, bananas, and sweet potatoes were his first foods. All homemade.
    Leslie- Momma to Aiden 02/28/06 AND Owen 2/28/08...What timing

Older and wiser voices can always help you find the right path, if you are only willing to listen.--Jimmy Buffet

Read the ingredients on the processed "baby" rice cereal. : You'll put that box back on the shelf in a hurry!

My son started at about 6 months with vegetables as first foods and meats, beans and avocado soon after.

I never made actual puree. Just mashed stuff up fairly well. (But I don't have a picky eater and he has always liked texture and lumps. )