Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Repeated Plugged Ducts & Baby refuses clogged breast

Default Repeated Plugged Ducts & Baby refuses clogged breast

My right breast has plugged up for the second time, and the clog seems to be over a slightly larger and different area this time.

I have read the other posts about using moist heat and massage to unclog it, but have tried without success. I don't even know if I am doing it the "right" way. The last time, in my desperation, I had my husband to suck at my breast hoping to unclog it!!!

I have tried to offer that breast to the baby, but he fusses and cries -- probably because he is hardly getting anything out of that breast. So, I had to offer him the left breast -- to satisfy his hunger, and also for fear the other breast would get clogged too!! Is that the right thing to do??

I am so discouraged because the "pain" causing issues never seem to end. (I was just beginning to be happy thinking that things are starting to look up a little!) I was having nipple pain in my 4th week of breastfeeding, and I suspected thrush. But I saw a Ped, and she didn't say anything helpful. My baby doesn't seem to have the white spots in his mouth, only some residual whiteness on his tongue after each feed. But he feeds so often (every half-hour, hour or 2) that it's not possible to know if the residue was from the last feed or is there always??

Any advice??
    Caylen Koen Chew (25/05/06)
    Lost No.2 in Aug 2008 ... Lost No. 3 in May 2009 Hoping for another ... Enjoying No.1

Default Re: Repeated Plugged Ducts & Baby refuses clogged breast

how olds the baby?
    have you had any anti-botics?
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/thrush.html
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...resources.html

heres some more links.
    you might want to search out a lc if you don't get any beter they would be able to help more than a doctor can.
    Call your local lll leader they could recomend somebody. Most Doctors have very little training in breastfeeding.

My baby is a month old. I had a C-section so I probably was given anti-biotics while in hospital. Does thrush have anything to do with plugged ducts?
    The trouble is, I am now living in Austria, Vienna, but speak very little German. The LLL league person who lives near me doesn't speak English.
    Caylen Koen Chew (25/05/06)
    Lost No.2 in Aug 2008 ... Lost No. 3 in May 2009 Hoping for another ... Enjoying No.1

I find that soaking the breast in a pot of hot water - as hot as I can stand - helps unclog it and then pumping right after. My sister-in-law used salt in the water. If you believe you also have Thrush I found that wiping my nipples down with diluted white vinegar after pumping or nursing made them feel better.